Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flyboy2638 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Ultra-low freezers
    I work in a biorepository and I was wondering as to why certain specimens are stored at certain temperatures. We have storage of +4c refrigerator, -20c freezer, -80c freezer, and LN2 storage. I know why some material is stored in the LN2 tanks, but why is some material stored in +4c, -20c, -80C freezers? We store all types of material from plasma, serum, drug material, cells, and anything else you can think of that a researcher might need stored.

I would appreciate the help to understand more and pass it along to my coworkers... curious minds want to know.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 09:02 PM

Sorry. I don't know the answer to this. Isn't there a boss who knows why you follow the protocols you follow? Or a manual for the company?

I know I once froze some butterfly eggs for two weeks, by accident, found them, thawed them and they hatched...

Maybe it has to do with whether you have whole cells or not.

Which things are stored at which temperatures?

Mar 25, 2009, 06:09 AM
    We just place their material (samples) in whatever temp freezer that they want. All that we do is store their material for a time; we do not decide at what temp certain material should be stored at.
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Apr 5, 2009, 10:29 PM

Different things are stored at various temps for different reasons. Be a little more specific.

Apr 7, 2009, 07:04 AM
    We store blood, serum, plasma, vaccines, cell lines and anything that a scientist might want to preserve for his study or clinical trial.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 07:29 AM

This explains some basics.

Cryobiology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Armstrong Ultra V [ 1 Answers ]

Armstrong Air Ultra V, 4 yrs old: Problem: *Igniter comes on with bright red/blue flame *Burners then come on *Fan blower comes on *Shortly after blower comes on, burners go out, and blower continues to run *Igniter comes back on *Burners then come back on *Then Burners go out again...

How do you become an ultra member [ 2 Answers ]

How do you become an ultra member?:)

Ultra vires [ 4 Answers ]

I hold 51% share of a private limited company named Suria Alliance. I was influenced by Mat and Mutu (3rd partiy)) to sell my shares in the company.Later, Mat and Mutu had actually bought all Suria Alliance shares by cheating us until all of the other directors resigned. I was reappointed as one...

Ultra 100 Bios [ 1 Answers ]

On boot UP this message appears "ULTRA 100 BIOS IS NOT ISTALLED BECAUSE THERE ARE NO DRIVES ATTACHED" what could be the problem?

View more questions Search