Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donnaleehall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Cobra subsidy
    Our company terminated several employees on 9/1/08 who were entitled to continuing severance payments through June of 2010 (22 months). Their health insurance benefits are being continued as through they are active employees through the entire severance period. Their eligibility for cobra will begin on July 1, 2010.

Are they eligible for the cobra subsidy beginning 7/1/10 for 9 months since their actual termination date was 9/1/08 or not?
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Mar 24, 2009, 09:31 AM

No, COBRA is based on losing insurance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 10:07 AM

To qualify, a worker must have been involuntarily separated between Sept. 1, 2008, and Dec. 31, 2009. Workers who lost their jobs between Sept. 1, 2008, and enactment, but failed to initially elect COBRA because it was unaffordable, get an additional 60 days to elect COBRA and receive the subsidy.
    This subsidy phases out for individuals whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $125,000, or $250,000 for those filing joint returns. Taxpayers with modified adjusted gross income exceeding $145,000, or $290,000 for those filing joint returns, do not qualify for the subsidy.

They did not actually to get it till then, plus there is the requirement that they did not take it at first,
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Mar 24, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Not quite correct.

There is no requirement that you did not elect to take COBRA. If you lost your job between 9/1/08 and 12/31/09 you are entitled to the subsidy with a special open enrollment. Allowing you another chance to enroll.

Also the regulations are Federal COBRA, companies with 20 or more employees.
    Some states have Mini COBRA, for 2-19 employees, and they can be same or different than the Federal regs. In addition the Mini COBRA's do not have the look back. So unless your state passes a law specifically allowing the look back the subsidy starts with those losing jobs 60 days prior to 3/1/09.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cobra 148gtl-dx [ 3 Answers ]

Retired 18 wheeler looking to sell a Cobra 148gtl-dx and need to know about what the going value is? Earle

Disability and COBRA subsidy [ 3 Answers ]

I was disabled in the early Fall of 2008, and I elected to carry COBRA coverage. The premiums for my wife and I pay are horrendously expensive :eek:. My question is, do I qualify for the new stimulus plan's COBRA subsidy? This would save us hundreds of dollars a month. Any information is...

COBRA Coverage [ 3 Answers ]

My employment ended with my company on 7/25/08, and my insurance ends on 7/31/08. I do not start my new job until 8/4/08. So I have a 4 day gap in coverage. Do I need to sign up for COBRA in advance? Or can I sign up retroactively, if something happens during this 4 day period?

Cobra more than once? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone have been on Cobra continuation coverage for the maximum period of eligibility (18months), then become insured with a new employer, retire, and be eligible for a brand new 18 month period of Cobra benefit coverage under the new employer's plan?

COBRA Eligibility [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide to quit my existing job where I Have been for 8 months and have medical insurance can I elect COBRA continuation even though I have only been there 8 months?

View more questions Search