Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilthechic Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Mar 24, 2009, 04:10 AM
    How do I force an employee to quit
    We have a secretary at my work place. I can't stand her because she has a terrible attitude problem. I have tried being patient but she is just incorrigible! She is resentful, bitter, grumbles a lot and makes unreasonable complaints, works slowly and her social skills are zero. All other employees can't stand her. She does her work inappropriately. I wish I could fire her straight but I cant. I don't want to be seen as a mean boss who fired the secretary. I have tolerated her enough! How do I force her to resign? Someone help me please!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 04:41 AM

You don't. Be a boss and do what is best for your company. You CAN just fire her assuming she is an employee at will.

To do it right, write her up for her attitude, poor or slow work, anything that bothers you. In the counselling detail clear and consise goals she must achieve and if she fails to respond, show her the door.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilthechic View Post
    i have tolerated her enough! how do i force her to resign? someone help me please!
    Hello lil:

You want to force her to quit, but you don't want to be seen as a mean boss... Lady, ANYTHING you do to force her to quit is being MEAN.

As a matter of fact, you can fire her legally for NO reason whatsoever... But, if you do things to FORCE her, you probably make yourself and your company vulnerable to a lawsuit.

Why can't you just be honest and straightforward?? I would HATE to work for you.

excon
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Firing unqualified employees is a big part of "being the boss". If you are more concerned with people liking you than you are with running the business properly then you are the one who is not good at her job.

Just do what needs to be done. But do it properly and respectfully.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 05:23 PM

By worrying about what she will think of you for firing her you are most probably getting your other employees upset for keeping her.
    Do yourself and your employees a favor and fire her.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 24, 2009, 05:33 PM

Write her up and counsel her...
    PAPER TRAIL!
    It works... its legal... no concern for lawsuits, if done properly.

1 last thing, you're the BOSS, no one likes you...
    Your constant kindness will be mistaken as weakness. Play it straight and do your job for the benefit of your business.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 24, 2009, 05:36 PM

You perhaps should quit, since obviously you are not a good boss, A good boss watches out for their people, all of them, they write up bad people, and fire the ones they have to.

If you can't fire people, you don't need to be a boss.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 05:43 PM

I actually hate my job because the bosses fire the good people or make work intolerable for them and praise the ones that don't work at all. Like this one girl goes outside and takes 10 minute smoke breaks EVERY 40 minutes and stands around doing nothing when she is on the floor.
    Its stupid to risk losing good workers over bad workers.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 24, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I actually hate my job because the bosses fire the good people or make work intolerable for them and praise the ones that don't work at all. Like this one girl goes outside and takes 10 minute smoke breaks EVERY 40 minutes and stands around doing nothing when she is on the floor.
    Its stupid to risk losing good workers over bad workers.
    Every job is like that...
    I like it when the praise the lazy bums for doing their work and those who work and go the extra mile all they get is silence.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2009, 06:07 PM

Yeah my son worked where I work and he ended up quiting cause the guy he worked with
    In the dish room was harassing him and making him do all the work. The bosses would walk by and tell my son his productivity was zero when he was doing his work and the other guys work.
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2009, 12:38 AM
    You can't just force an employee to quit without any reasons. If he or she is incompetent, you must first inform her in writing and give her the chance to defend herself before taking any drastic actions.
    hoping4best130 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2009, 12:59 AM

The toughest part of being a boss is to fire people. But also as boss we have an responsibility to develop people. If you are not going to tell her what her deficiencies are how do you expect her to solve them. Try corrective action programme. First stop thinking that you want to fire her. Give her a letter explaining where her behaviour or performance is deficient, what she needs to do to improve , what the organization will do for her(training) and time farme given to her to show progress. If still same problems exist then you are fire her.
    But be sure you deal with her fairly not on your predisposition to fire her immediately.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by felgar View Post
    You can't just force an employee to quit without any reasons. If he or she is incompetent, you must first inform her in writing and give her the chance to defend herself before taking any drastic actions.
    I don't know where you are from but most if not all states in the USA are at will employment now and can fire for absolutely no reason. BUT if the employee feels it falls under the discrimination guidelines or was totally wrong then they can sue.
    If this person is as bad as the OP says then it does sound like they have good cause to fire.
    messiable Posts: 29, Reputation: -1

Aug 25, 2009, 02:06 PM

U need tomake her life a misery so she quits
    Give her work after work making sure its really hard. Eventually shell quit. U can't get into trouble for giving your workers work. Have you seen it on TV when somebody wants 2 get rid of a certain someone, they sabotage, making the other persons life really hard. They always sucseed.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by messiable View Post
    u need tomake her life a misery so she quits
    give her work after work making sure its really hard. eventually shell quit. u can't get into trouble for giving your workers work. have yuo seen it on tv when somebody wants 2 get rid of a certain someone, they sabotage, making the other persons life really hard. they always sucseed.
    Actually, it IS illegal. Its called harassment and it's a great way to get sued.

Aug 25, 2009, 03:41 PM

Sorry your right. Now that I think about it what I said probably sounds evil. By the way I agree with Krazi, he's good

Aug 25, 2009, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by messiable View Post
    u need tomake her life a misery so she quits
    give her work after work making sure its really hard. eventually shell quit. u can't get into trouble for giving your workers work. have yuo seen it on tv when somebody wants 2 get rid of a certain someone, they sabotage, making the other persons life really hard. they always sucseed.
    Come on man if you actually read on you would know that I apolagised. And that isn't text talk, just a few miss spelt words which I didn't have time to correct in my haste to help the man with the problem
    Evgb Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2009, 06:45 PM

It is very passive aggressive to try and make an employee quit rather than firing them. If there are productivity reasons to fire her, then you should have no reason not to address the problem directly and give her a warning. If things don't improve, then let her go. I would hate to work for someone that didn't give me any warnings, but instead tried to passive-aggressively try to make me quit. Do YOUR job.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 05:34 PM

Forcing her to quit would make it easy on you, but you and I both know that you don't handle personnel issues that way.

If you truly have problems with her attitude and bad work habits, then you need to do your job and sit her down and talk to her.

If she truly has problems then you need to address them... that's what you are getting paid for.

Just beware that your butt could be on the carpet if your complaints with her are unfounded. Sometimes personalities just clash, but that isn't a reason to get rid of someone.
    brickwallas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
    I would have to agree with Krazi. I would start with the paper trail first off. It's a long and tedious process but if you want to filter out your problem employees that's the only way to do it.

I'm a new manager myself, but my boss has helped me every step of the way. I went into a hornet's nest of a situation where the cook was made to believe by the former kitchen manager that she was going to get the job and had her doing all the managerial tasks, hiring, ordering and everything else. She did not have the credentials for the job and was told by the administrator that it was not an option for her. When I got there it was very difficult and a lot of hard feelings were abound. I just stepped back and let things unfold. Made small changes, but mostly just watched and got the feel for the crew.

Almost a year later I've cut one dead weight employee and managed to get the other two to leave because they never had the skills for the job in the first place. I started with work plans that were very detailed, but didn't expect more than what I was capable of. I did every job in the kitchen, including wash dishes for weeks on end to prove that not only I could do the job, but to set the standards for those jobs.

When I had come on the scene they had been cooking out of a box. The food was deplorable. The first cook quit after taking a 10 day vacation, claiming I pushed her out by expecting too much of her when I put her on the work plan. The second quit when I told him that I had to take him off the weekend shift to monitor his production quality. It wasn't that hard at all. I was fair and gave them every opportunity to improve. They were use to doing whatever they wanted because the former manager was burned out and didn't care. Sorry, opening a can of Cambell's soup, steaming meat and eggs for my residents will never happen again.

I'm not there to make friends. I don't go out with or face book anyone at work. I keep it separate for my own sanity. I had to get some skill in that kitchen and I've succeeded in that, whether people think well of the way I did it is not important. As a manager you have to accept the fact that you will never be thought well of if you're actually doing the job you should be. At the end of the day all that matters is if I know I'm doing a good job and my boss thinks I'm doing a good job. I give my employees time off when they want and cover their hours. I hold them accountable for their mistakes. If they admit to them and learn from them, then that's all I ask for! It's more important as a manager that you also admit to mistakes and make sure your employees see you call yourself out on them and then show you can make improvements yourself. That's called leading by example! It's the employee that will never admit to making mistakes and blames everything on others that holds the crew back.

I look at my job now as still in the filtering stage, not finished yet. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

At what value of Force, can we feel the effect of gravitational force between objects [ 2 Answers ]

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE QUESTION AND THEN ANSWER At what value of Force, could we feel or see the effect of gravitational pull or force between two objects. E.g. 2 pencils kept at a very small distance (r) exert a force (F) on each other such that they are pulled by each other and stick to each...

Multiple pay rate for one employee? Or employee and contractor? [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employee perform accounting clerk duties at one rate of pay for 15 hours per week and then perform payroll duties 1-2 days a month at a different rate? Alternatively, can this employee (who has a bona fide accounting business on the side) be an employee for the payroll clerk function and...

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

View more questions Search