Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 07:57 PM
    My computer will not open word on backed up files
    I have an xp home and I use wordpad to do everything. I recently had to get it reformatted. I used cd's to back up documents. I also used an 8 gb drive called data traveler. It saved it. I paid a computer store to reformat. All is better now, however when I put the data traveler or the cd into the computer it will not let me open individual documents. Here is the thing. I backed up all my documents which was done on wordpad and put it on a cd. I also put it on a 8 gb drive. Now I get a message that says 'can not load word for 6.0 files'. All I did was reformat.
    How do I open those wordpad files in wordpad?
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Mar 23, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    all i did was reformatal
    Reformatting simply erases the disk & places a new file structure on the disk. The computer store probably installed a slightly newer version of software which made the newer Wordpad software incompatible with your files.
    Windows Explorer should be able to copy the files onto the hard disk but the current WordPad will not read them. Downgrading the Wordpad version (at least temporarily) should allow you to read those files. Since you paid a computer store to reformat/reload this PC, contact them for assistance.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 07:51 AM

Thank you
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 03:03 AM

It is all happening cause of software compatibility. It doesn't compatible to previous installed word pad so, try to download word pad converter or download new word pad format.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 06:34 AM

I ended up doing a search on Google about it. As it turns out, my backup disks and backup driver are corrupt. Microsoft is saying that xp does not have a converter and every computer I have put the backed up data on says the same thing, can not open.
    All I did was simply send my documents to a backup disk and for more protection I did a driver too. And because the converter is missing in xp I have 5 years of data that is corrupt. You got to love it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

.jpg files opening in Word [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what I've done to my computer, but whenever I try to open a jpg attachment it tries to open it in word and I end up getting a File Conversion window popping up and I can't seem to view the jpg. Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix this problem so I can view jpg's in the normal...

Email folders/files from computer to computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have just purchased a new computer and have successfully imported the address book from old to new. But I'm having no success with transferring email folders/thier contents. Mail client: old computer is Outlook Express , new computer is Outlook 2007 . I cannot find how I transfer folders of...

WMP tries to open .pdf files! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, my problem as you can see is that Windows Media Player keeps trying to open pdf files:confused: . I've checked all programme defaults and tried re-installing both WMP and Adobe but same thing keeps happening. It's getting me down so someone put me out of my misery... PLEASE! :(

Can't open Word Files [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot open any word files. Please help, Thanks.

Can't open files [ 1 Answers ]

I can't open files by double-clicking them from folders, though I can through the different softwares.

View more questions Search