Ask
    woundedheart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Extra marital affairs
    Can spouse sue third party for having affair and wrecking ones marriage
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 06:37 PM

In some States, yes. In some States the lawsuitis allowed by law and there have been a few decisions in favor of the party who was NOT "cheating." In other decisions it has been decided that the marriage was already broken and the affair was just part of that.

An Attorney could give you the law for your State. It's alienation of affection in most States.

I'm an investigator. I've done more than a few matrimonial investigations. My concern here is that the third party didn't break up the marriage. The third party took no vows with you, made no promises to you, owed you nothing. Your spouse, on the other hand, is the person who betrayed you.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 04:20 AM

Sue for what? Damages? Can you quantify the damages that this 3rd party inflicted?

If your response is the desctuction of your marriage, no, the 2nd party did that (your spouse)
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by woundedheart View Post
    can spouse sue third party for having affair and wrecking ones marriage
    The easy answer to that is probably no. Now, is that technically correct in all places? Probably not. Sure, you might construct a fancy civil suit that would withstand a demurrer or motion for summary judgment in many places if you wanted to bother, but it would be a complete waste of time-- your time, the court's time,everyone's. About the only modern cause of action in California I could fit it into would be "intentional infliction of emotional distress" but even that's a long shot. No lawyer with half a brain would ever take a case like that, even if you paid for the legal fees out of pocket (or it would be a rip-off it he or she did). And you' d never recover anything anyway. Again, it would be a total waste of time and judicial resources. It might be fun to talk about it in a law school class and debate possible causes of action, but a case like that does not belong in the real world. People have had extra marital affairs since the beginning of time and will continue having them till the end of time. It's part of life. Most would give one simple word of advice: get over it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 05:12 PM

And a reminder, the other person did not do it alone, the partner that cheated did it of their own free will.
    So it is them you sue basically for divorce

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband has had several affairs [ 8 Answers ]

Im 37 years old and I have been married for 19 years next month on June 18, 2007. My husband had an affair after we had been married for 9 years and we managed to heal from that now another 9 years go by and I find out he is doing it again and with 3 women that I know of. I want to find out the...

Of course affairs [ 2 Answers ]

Need help... Would like to know the outcome of love affairs... my friend is in one and is having a hard time with it, but she is married with children and so is he. How long do affairs of the heart last. Can they last, if they are happy with it. Would they ever end up together. Needing advise...

My wife's had two affairs now. [ 7 Answers ]

Hoping for some guidance here - hope you can help. My wife and I have been been together 11years and have been married nine years, we have two wonderful children, both work full time. My wife (whom I love with all of my heart) has had two affairs whilst we've been together, the first 5 years...

Current affairs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm applying for a military career and need to know for interview purposes the most important current affairs of the past few years and I'm not quite sure on the whole iraq thing, how it started? And afghanistan?

I'm in an extra marital relationship and hate myself [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... I've been married 4 years and about 18 months back I had a chance meeting with a colleague... We ended up spending the night together and now I am in a relationship with him. He lives in another continent... but we still see each other every few months and the intensity seems to be only...

View more questions Search