Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadow81093 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2009, 05:14 PM
    15 and 12 dating
    So, I have a couple friends who go to my church that are considering becoming romantically involved.
    He is 15, she is 12.

I know both of them well enough to know that if they do begin dating, neither of them will even consider sex for a long time.

But I'm still concerned, because he is my best friend, and I don't want him to get in trouble.

So, could they get in trouble for dating, even if they don't have or do anything sexual beyond kissing?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 05:22 PM

He wouldn't be kissing my daughter because he wouldn't be allowed to date her.

FYI-dating someone is never illegal but depending on the state laws where your live kissing might can get him into some kind of trouble.
    Murraystate Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2009, 05:29 PM
    I think at that age you just need to be friends. If he is 15 and your friend tell him she is too young to be kissing and all that nonesense. I know sometimes this stuff can be just fun and testing the water, but just be a kid!! You will have plenty of time to have a girl friend after high school! (or in high school for that matter!) :)

Mar 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    FYI-dating someone is never illegal but depending on the state laws where your live kissing might can get him into some kind of trouble.
    South Carolina. I've done a fair bit of research, but I can't really find anything on the topic other than the age of consent law.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 05:36 PM

As liz said, dating is not cause for trouble but I have to ask how the parents would feel about this. Neither are old enough to 'date' in my book. Plus a 3 year age gap makes a huge difference at this phase- not so much if we were talking a 27 and a 30 yr old. Here, one is middle school and the other is high school.

Even with no sex, it's still not appropriate that they date at this age. I'm sure the parents of the 12 year old girl will share this view.

Mar 23, 2009, 05:54 PM

Well I'm not sure moral advice is going to stop them.
    As far as I'm concerned, let them do as they wish.
    I just want to make sure he's not going to get in trouble with the law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 06:31 PM

Well first to be honest any good parent is not going to let this happen,
    So fi they are allowed, there is an entire parenting issue.

After that the problem is a 12 year old is just not old enough or mature enough to date.

And if they keep dating, it would be 4 years at least before sex could be legal in some places, and up to 6 years in other places.
    So the odds of breaking the law is pretty large
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2009, 06:37 PM

12 is a bit young to be dating period. And parents, especially church going ones, are not likely to allow it.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 06:43 PM

To the OP why are you doing the research to find out rather or not they can date?

Also, if you've to do research to see if it's legal for them to date than they shouldn't be dating at all. Don't you think?
    theartofm Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2009, 01:34 AM

They can be friends, and maybe hold hands. Light kissing - ah, maybe hellos and goodbyes if that's something they were raised with.

Anything else, the girl is too young. My daughter is in this exact situation (I almost thought it was her). They went on a "date" once, going to a movie together. I didn't say anything. It's something they can do together and experience as friends, and maybe when they're older it'll make them more confident when they are really dating. Now that date was supposed to be with an adult, and it turned out it wasn't, so next time I'll make SURE it is supervised, but guess what? There hasn't been a "next time". They experimented, tried it out, and haven't tried it since.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theartofm View Post
    They can be friends, and maybe hold hands. Light kissing - ah, maybe hellos and goodbyes if that's something they were raised with.
    At 12, "group dating" may be appropriate. Hanging out at a mall in a group, going to a movie in a group. But its too young for one on one, especially when the boy is 3 years older.
    pandabear13 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 08:22 PM

I'm turning 13 this month and I'm dating a 16 year old... Its not illegeal if the parents agree to them dating... He came to my parents before asking me out... We go to church together and stuff! We kiss and do all that romantical jazz besides sex... so no its not illegeal...
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 5, 2009, 05:18 PM

"So, I have a couple friends who go to my church that are considering becoming romantically involved.
    He is 15, she is 12."- Pandabear13
    All fine and well. We are free to do as we so choose, keeping in mind that you will have to deal with the consequences good or bad and "if" you cross any lines of the law, you may go to jail.

"I know both of them well enough to know that if they do begin dating, neither of them will even consider sex for a long time."-Pandabear13
    I will advise mindfulness when speeking in such terms. People can change, and not always for the good, nor expected. That is our gift of free will. Feel free to disagree. ;)

"But I'm still concerned, because he is my best friend, and I don't want him to get in trouble."-Pandabear13
    Please define "trouble"?

"So, could they get in trouble for dating, even if they don't have or do anything sexual beyond kissing?"- Pandabear13
    I can't say I've ever heard of any one getting in trouble with the law for kissing (and only kissing. Be mindful of the placement of ones other body parts.), but maybe with they parents. They can see things a little more agressively/ protectively.
    Also, be mindful that it depends on your cultural background. I'm going to assume you're a North American, or American, eh? Some cultures don't allow such things to take place.

So, it all depends on the relativity to witch you are applying these terms. In other words, what do you mean by "trouble"; where is this situation taking place; what cultrual backgrounds are involved; who are the one's in those backgrounds; and why are you asking us? You seem to have an idea already? I'm just curious, I asure you I mean no offence by it.

"im turning 13 this month and im dating a 16 year old.....Its not illegeal if the parents agree to them dating...He came to my parents before asking me out....We go to church together and stuff!! we kiss and do all that romantical jazz besides sex....so no its not illegeal..."- Pandabear13
    This is why I ask, why you asked us, I'm slightly confuddled by it. XD I used confuddled, I can't even remember what that means, but I'm sure it's got something to do with confused. Oh, me and trying to sound all smart, eh. Any way, just thought I'd lighten the mood.

You seem like a smart, and strong person, so don't be afraid of other's opinions. They aren't absolute eh?

Peace and kindness.

P.S. Im not sure if you went back to your other thread, about the "Space" thing,;), I left a little something there you maybe slightly interested in reading. I also have question for you, and advice, but I'm not sure you'd like me to share it here so, yeah. Peace little sista.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We're dating, but he posted on a dating site! [ 11 Answers ]

We've only been dating for about a month or so. The first couple of weeks, he called me every day, sometimes twice a day. Then it was less frequent. I assumed he didn't have the guts to break it off, so I stopped calling him and he wouldn't call me for a few days, but he always called. Said...

The Good: I'm back out dating! The Bad: I'm back out dating. [ 11 Answers ]

Well to start I've recently been testing the waters following a break of a 4 year relationship 2 months ago (one of those where she wanted to marry me, I had the ring and we split things). So I've recovered I'm out meeting people, I feel ready and now I'm dating. Now I know dating is pretty...

Dating and Sex! [ 7 Answers ]

I want this to be more of an open discussion and not opinions. I am trying to understand, Since I am older and definitely out of the dating scene I am asking why is it that in today's environment young people feel that is is necessary to have sex with their partner to keep them. This includes...

So I'm dating this guy. [ 5 Answers ]

I'm dating this guy that is so sweet and we have so much in common. It's been 8 months now. The problem is I'm not that physically attracted to him. It wasn't a problem at first, but the further we get in our relationship the more of a problem it is becoming. I was thinking about getting his hair...

From dating to friends to dating? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I met this guy about 9 months ago. After only going out a couple of times we started dating. It only lasted for about a month and he ended it saying he didn't think we had enough in common. Since then we have become best friends and spend a lot of time together. But we are...

View more questions Search