Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sasha_1 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Mar 23, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Getting induced in a week - what I should be aware of?
    I completed 40 weeks today. My dr told me she is not going to wait after March 31st and will get me induced on that day if I don't go into labor before that. Last week she had checked me and I am already 2 cms dilated.

My question - what things I should be aware of before or during getting induced? Any precautions I need to take? Lastly... are the contractions too bad compared to going into labor naturally?

Any info/suggestions will help me. Thank you so much.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 05:19 PM

Did she give you a reason as to not waiting the full 42 weeks? Plenty of walking from here on may be beneficial in helping get things going on their own.

Since your cervix has already shown signs of preparing for labor, that increases the odds that an induction will go smoothly for you.
    You will have an IV and will monitored the entire time to be sure baby handles the contractions well. Some women do find the contractions peak faster and may be more intense, others don't notice any great difference. If they do happen to peak quickly, that also means they will come back down faster, so there is a silver lining to most things if you look for it hard enough... :) If things move along quickly, your support person may need to step up their level of support.
    The pitocin will be increased in small increments as the idea is to try to mimic a natural labor pattern. If baby shows any difficulty, the pitocin can be turned back or off.

Even though you will be monitored, you often will still have some options for comfort... standing and leaning against the bed or chair, sitting in a rocking chair, using a birth ball, various positions on the bed, etc. When you have to use the toilet... about every hour would be a good idea, you will be able to unplug yourself from the monitor and the IV from the outlet and walk around a bit before hooking things back up.
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 24, 2009, 07:53 AM

I was induced and they told me that it makes the contractions come faster and more intense.. but I only have 1 baby so I don't have anything to compare it to... GOOD LUCK! AND CONGRATS!
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Mar 25, 2009, 10:59 AM

I was induced with my first. I was 3cm 80% effaced when I was induced, but it still took 6 hours for the pitocin to start working. So be aware that when you get induced it may take awhile for labor to start, or it may start right away. When my labor finally started I was at contractions every 3 minutes lasting 60 seconds. Once they broke the water bag, tt jumped to contractions one right on top of the other and it was hard but it was my first so I figured that was how labor was meant to be.

I just had my second baby 6 weeks ago, all natural. When I went into labor I was in denial the entire day because it did not hurt. It was just uncomfortable. When I decided togo to the hospital, I figured it was false labor since it did not hurt as bad as my induction contractions with my first, but once I got to the hospital I was already 7cm. Once I got to 8cm is when it got real painful and those contractions felt the same as my induction contractions. So in the end, it all feels the same. It all hurts.

Remember to stay calm and to breathe in through your nose and out your mouth. The second you feel like you can't take it anymore and think your losing control, just stop take a moment and breathe. Things that helped me ease the pain and discomfort was standing up and leaning over the bed and letting my belly hang. That takes the pressure off your back. I also had my partner rub a tennis ball on mylower back, that helps A LOT. The main thing is to stay calm and not freak out. I think I was able to deliver without any pain medication the second time around because I stayed calm and focused on my breathing and had the support of my partner.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Mar 25, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Just like DoulaC said, walk. The day I went into labor I walked for an hour, took a 15-20 minute break, walked for another hour took another, after I walked the third time it was time to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obsessivly self aware [ 8 Answers ]

Right I feel a bit weird typing this here but I will try and summerise my problem. Recently within the last few months ( it started towards the end of my gap year) Ive been unable to stop thinking about my body language to the extent that I am parnoid even when doing simple things such as sitting...

What rights does a self aware AI have if any? [ 66 Answers ]

If there were a self aware AI, what rights would you grant it?

Ad-aware Se [ 4 Answers ]

Ok here I dl'd this program and it says I have 185 errors/spyware on my computer (obvious reason why computer crashed I think) beats me how they just appear like that... but anyway after I ran Ad-Aware and got to the point of selecting all and deleting the problems, ad-aware just seem to hang there...

Ad-aware [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All. Today I reverted my system back to the stahe it was at when purchased due to some problems I'd been having. The first thing I did was check that my webmail was working then I downloaded Ad-aware and scanned my PC. To my dismay, considering the PC was back to being 'new out of the box',...

Spyware and ad-aware [ 6 Answers ]

I've been attacking my computer with Ad-Aware and going places I didn't know existed trying to get rid of the last few thorns in my side: Adserv and something called nitrous something, can't see it as it disappears before I can get all the info. I am also being bugged by Shopnav, the alternative...

View more questions Search