Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heather831 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Rotty scared of almost everything
    I have a 10 month old rottweiler mix that I adopted from the shelter when he was 15 weeks old. He's a great dog, great with my two kids and me, but since my husband just came back from a deployment, he doesn't do to well with him. He's not aggressive, just terrified of him. I think most of it is because my dog is a little shy and doesn't like to play really rough, and my husband is always trying to get him to rough house, which I really don't approve of, 1 because I don't want the dog to think it's okay and try that with my kids, and 2 I can tell it makes him uncomfortable, but my stupid husband thinks I just want to make him a "sissy dog"... but that's a whole different issue.

Another thing, is when I'm at home he's a completely different dog than when he is outside. He sticks to my leg like velcro, jumping at anything that blows in the wind and if anyone comes near us he just stops, tail glued to his leg and shakes. He didn't used to be this way, it's all been going down hill the last few months and I just don't know what could have happened to cause him to act this way.

It makes me really nervous because I don't want him to end up biting out of fear (he's snapped at my husband before). I'm afraid to be the only one to work with him and have him still be scared of my husband.
    Any comments/advice would be great.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 04:57 PM

Your husband is setting this dog up for disaster. Rotties are one of the top breeds when it comes to aggression. I think any breed can be raised to be a good dog, but rough housing will only lead to trouble.

Does your husband care if this dog attacks one of the kids? If not, then he can keep rough housing, when the dog gets bigger he'll learn the hard way.

Talk to your husband, the dog is trying to tell him something, and he's not listening.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 23, 2009, 08:34 PM

Can you check around and find a training class near you that uses positive reinforcement? It would be great to find one that both of you could attend. Your husband may listen to a "dog expert" saying the same thing you are trying to tell him. A class that uses Gentle Leader Headcollars would be ideal--they often help shy dogs gain confidence and trust in their owners.
    This dog was not around men for many months, and probably was never really socialized to men. The sudden rough play is overwhelming.
    You are not trying to make this dog a "sissy", you are trying to make him a calm and well-behaved pet.
    There is nothing more dangerous than a dog that bites out of fear, and I agree that pushing this dog past his comfort zone is a direct path to disaster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Rotty is fixated on shadows what do I do to stop this behavior [ 3 Answers ]

My Rotty is fixated on shadows what do I do to stop this behavior

Scared About Sex [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband And I Just Recently Got Married And Neither Of Us Had Ever Had Sex. I Was Looking Forward To My First Time, Him On The Other Hand, Not So Much. He Is To Scared To Even See Me With No Clothes On. This Is Really Affecting Our Relationship Because I Am Not Getting Satisfied And That...

I'm scared boyfriend might be gay [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend has been dating for a year now, we use to have the best sex and as time went by he started losing interest. And about a week ago he just burst out and we went on for hours. But what botherd me was that for more than half the time I had to either using my finger on his anal area...

So scared [ 51 Answers ]

I'm so scared my period has been really heavy and 2 or 3 days late from what I can remember .but on the 26 th jan I gave a blowjob and was fingered half a hour later I felt my period and put a tampon in me and I don't no if I had sperm on my hand. My period was 9 days late it came on the 5th March...

What's the best brands of food for a 6yr Rotty? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old female & I have been buying "Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Mobility Support JS" food from my Vet & it seems to be working well but it's so expensive. Can anyone suggest a named brand that might be just as good that I can buy from someplace like Costco?

View more questions Search