Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bernie66191x1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Broke a tooth that has a root canal and dentist dismissed me as his patient
    Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability insurance has something to do with his decision.

I would like to repair the tooth, if possible, rather than extract it. I forgot to mention I am 81 years old and served in WW 2, Korean War and Viet Nam... I am accustomed to 'rough treatment' but not from a dentist.

What do you suggest?

Bernie: Savannah, Georgia
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Get it pulled Bernie, the denist can only do so much.

Since you have already had such extensive work and it is now broken most likely there is little they can do.

But if you have to go to one or two other doctors and get their opinion
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Sep 14, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie66191x1
    Recently I 'broke' a tooth that contained a large filling and a root canal. Because I have diabetes, leukemia and several other serious health problems, including low platlets, 40ish, my dentist of 18 years informed me that he didn't want me as his patient any long. I presume his liability insurance has something to do with his decision.

I would like to repair the tooth, if possible, rather than extract it. I forgot to mention I am 81 years old and served in WW 2, Korean War and Viet Nam.....I am accustomed to 'rough treatment' but not from a dentist.

What do you suggest?

Bernie: Savannah, Georgia

First, you are blessed in never having been treated roughly by dentists since my personal experience and those of many others with whom I have spoken has been very different. In any case, you are obviousaly forced to go to another "doctor". So what other advice can be given than for you to go and not to linger since an infected tooth is a dangerous thing due to its nearness to the brain.

BTW
    He might not feel qualified to deal with the situation and doesn't want to admit it so he prefers to dismiss you and save face. At least that's better than having him fake his way through and botch up your tooth even more not to mention possibly killing you in the process.
    BuddyMan Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2009, 02:49 PM

I had the same thing happen. Tooth broke below the gum line. My dentist said there was no other option but to pull the tooth. If you are a good candidate, they can put in an implant and you can get a replacement. But mine seemed to be of the opinion that there is no way to save a tooth that has broken below the gum, as opposed to a piece of the top of it breaking off. That they can fix with a new crown, or filling. But you need a solid root.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Please check the date of the original post when posting.
    Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 03:34 PM
    3 year old thread closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal Problem [ 8 Answers ]

After five years of 3 different re-constructions on a cracked/ decayed big back tooth, the nerve started to die (v.painful) and has been removed. I now have a temp filling and am awaiting full root canal treatment in a few (6) weeks. When I had temp filling it gave me a disgusting rotting food...

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Root canal after permanent crown [ 4 Answers ]

Just found out that I need a root canal after my permanent crown has been put in. My bottom left far back molar had cracked requiring a crown. The tooth which had a filling in it looked good with no decay when the dentist prepared the tooth for the crown. After two weeks with the new crown, pain...

Root canal tooth came out [ 1 Answers ]

My back tooth which had a root canal and crown just came out, crown and tooth intact with a silver post. I don't know what to do. Help, I don't think the dentist is in his office until Monday and it is Friday night. I'm thinking the tooth had decayed under the crown. I have a huge hole in my...

View more questions Search