Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 10:31 AM
    California Public Records
    Is there a website where you can learn what crime someone in California has committed? Our neighbors daughter who is 19 moved out to California to marry some guy she met on the internet (we're in Montreal, Canada). Her parents (our neighbors) don't know much about him but know he is out on a 100,000 $ bond right now and claims it's because of a DUI... the bond seems extremely high to only be a DUI

He came to Canada to visit this girl a few months back, he made it past Canadian Immigration at the airport somehow but 24 hours later Canadian Immigration came to their daughters apartment (where he was staying) and told him he was being deported out of Canada because he had charges on his record, he then was deported and is most likely banned from entering Canada ever again.

They would really like to know what he is charged with but don't know how... and neither do me or my wife, we know in Florida (where my wife is from) you can look up charges against someone online through the state government.
    HASAPROBLEM Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 10:34 AM

Uh you 100,000 bond on a dui is a lot, I thought the bond is usually 10%. My friends ex-wife was caught traffiking 1kg of heroin and her bond was 60k.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 11:05 AM

Yeah... that's what we all think, it's probably drug related.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 11:11 AM

Hello low:

Maybe, if you knew the county:

Legal Dockets Online - case dockets, decisions, civil and criminal records

I've never used this site so I have no idea of its reliability.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 11:36 AM

Thanks, I see this is listed by county... I know he's in silicon valley but that encompases a large area, ill see what I can find!

EDIT: Well I found it but the site won't give me any more information than the case number because it's a criminal case
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 11:39 AM

Might sound stupid but have you tried Google? Local papers carry arrest records. It might not give you specifics but it might give you a general idea.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 09:57 PM

If you know the man's name and possibly how old he is and that he lives in Silicon Valley, you could call the courthouse there and speak to someone who will run his name in the courthouse computer. Criminal proceedings as well as civil proceedings are public information in the US and anyone can call up the Clerk's Office and ask this. Sometimes the computer version really does not go into the matter as much as the computer access that the Clerk's Office does. Some courthouses are online and you can look up the guy if you know his first and last name and possible dob if he has a common name or more than one name match comes up.

If nothing is found in the Silicon Valley counties, you could try a neighboring county. Just look on a map and see what county is nearby.

The Clerk's office can tell you the charge, the hearing dates coming up and anything else you want to know such as if he has a PD or a private attorney. They are quite helpful on the phone.

For $100,000 bond is was definitely a serious felony. I'd have them follow up and see what his charge is. At least they may be able to steer the daughter away from a bad actor if they find out now versus she gets more attached to him.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 07:59 AM

Thanks for all the help... I found he is in San Mateo county and the court online records show the case was referred to them by the FBI but has no details of the case itself.

I'll pass this to our neighbors and they can decide if they want to call the San Mateo county courthouse for more information.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 09:55 AM

The trouble is he is not convicted yet, he is charged, Has the "neighbors daughter" asked to see the court papers, but most likely she knows the real charges.

And the DUI would ( I don't think" keep them out of Canada
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 12:02 PM

Actually a DUI would keep him out of Canada, in the US a DUI is a misdemeanour crime but Canadian law imposes much tougher penalties on this crime and usually does not allow foreigners with DUI to enter the country.

And as per the online court records I found he has already been sentenced for some sort of crime in 2006, so I don't know if this is a new charge or if he just got out and is on parole (maybe she meant parole when she said "probation") is there some sort of "bond" or something of that nature when someone is let out on parole?

I will just pass on what I discovered from the websites above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public records [ 2 Answers ]

How can I find public records on someone

Public records for Maryland [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about pulling marylands public records I know there's a website that you can do it for free but I can't remember the address. If anyone knows it, it would be very helpful. Thanks

Public property records [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what sites I would look for to access land and property records?

Accessing public records--another ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a company do a background check -- wanted me to work for them instead of private contractor. Am on good terms with them. Friends with manager's son, who also works there (lg. apt. complex-- renovating all apts.) If I ask them, nicely, can I get info. They received? Is it legal...

Accessing my own public records [ 4 Answers ]

How do I find and access what prospective employers see when they do a background check? Also, need to find out exact dates of previous companies I have worked for. Has to be a way without paying a service to do it ($40). Aany suggestions? All help appreciated ! ...

View more questions Search