Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarksis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Buy sister's share of inherited property?
    Sister and I inherited property from Dad in 2003. I am buying her half now in 2009. I offered her 1/2 the market value at the time of inheritance, not 1/2 of today's market value, the latter being twice as much. She disagrees with that strategy. It should be noted she has not paid her share of property taxes and insurance for 2 years. What should I consider doing?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 11:34 AM

You should offer her half of what the property is worth now, less the amount owed for taxes and insurance.

Making an offer on what something was worth 6 years ago is unreasonable. If you wanted it at that price you should have bought it 6 years ago.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2009, 11:45 AM

You are saying that the property has doubled in value 2003? That odd for real estate in the current market.

But if that is the case, why she she accept a 6 yr old value? I certainly wouldn't.

Do the rioght thing and offer her the current value. You can add stipulations in the contract that you will deduct her share of the taxes and insurance that haven't been paid.

Mar 23, 2009, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    You should offer her half of what the property is worth now, less the amount owed for taxes and insurance.

Making an offer on what something was worth 6 years ago is unreasonable. If you wanted it at that price you should have bought it 6 years ago.
    Thanks for the input. She actually agreed to my offer in 2003 but has drawn it out for 6 years with emotional attachment issues to the property... email after email after email... never resolving anything. All of a sudden she is willing to sell but the current market value isn't something I can afford.

Mar 23, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You are saying that the property has doubled in value 2003? That odd for real estate in the current market.

But if that is the case, why she she accept a 6 yr old value? I certainly wouldn't.

Do the rioght thing and offer her the current value. You can add stipulations in the contract that you will deduct her share of the taxes and insurance that haven't been paid.
    It's lakefront property, so that's why the value is so high.
    Thanks for the input. She actually agreed to my offer in 2003 but has drawn it out for 6 years with emotional attachment issues to the property... email after email after email... never resolving anything. All of a sudden she is willing to sell but the current market value isn't something I can afford.
    She also wants lifetime privileges to vacation there whenever she pleases... at no cost to her. And wants her share back if I pass away!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2009, 02:23 PM

If you have a contract agreeing to a price, you MAY be able to enforce that contract. It would depend on the wording. But it's a long shot. I can see offering the lifetime usage, even making that binding on your heirs, but not to leave it to her in your will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

How do I get rid of inherited share of house I do not want? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited 1/2 house from mom. For 2 years sister refused to sell house even when we received 2 offers. Sister refused to buy me out. I do not want house, it is in very bad shape and I live out of state. Each month I am forced to pay 1/2 of expenses for taxes, insurance and utilities. House...

Inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

My husband's family gave him a piece of land as inherited property while we were married. If we build a house on the land and later down the road get a divorce, am I intitled to 50% of the property and house?

Inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

My brother and I inherited my grandmothers home in California in 1996. My brother has been living in the home since then. We both have equal 50/50 ownership in this property. The house was long ago paid for and there is no mortgage. My brother has now obtained a mortgage for half of the current...

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

View more questions Search