Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fab1987 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 08:48 AM
    First Time Hemaroids Sufferer
    Hi all.

I am currently working out in Alberta in the oil fields, mainly working in the kitchen for 10 hours a day. Last night I discovered some discomfort around my anus, at first it was itchy which led to pain. In the shower I discovered a round lump that was very sensitive to touch. Upon browing the internet I discovered that I have Hemaroids.

I am 28 years old. I work out either with weights or on the treadmill. So I get regular exercise. The nature of my job also means that I am walking around a lot in the day. I don't spend much of the day sitting down. I eat a very good diet high in fibre, protein and complex carbs. I certainly get my 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. In fact I am in the best shape of my life at the moment. Although I probably drink too much coffee and not enough water.

I don't seem to fit the profile of a Hemaroid sufferer which concerns me. I can only think that I strained myself somehow. I don't pick a lot of heavy things up and my job can be quite physically demanding.

I have some questions which I would like answered.

1. I have heard Hemaroids can heal themselves? I am hoping this is the case because I don't have access to a doctor, only a medic. I am working out here until the end of April and leaving would be a big problem.

2. They say that a lot of people who get Hemaroids see them come back again and again. How true is that? Why is that the case?

3. What can I do to aid in the recovery of this problem ASAP? I plan to stop weightlifting and get help in lifting heavy items in the kitchen. I also plan to drink less coffee and more water. Other than that I can't see what else I can do. It just seems crazy that I am suffering from this considering my profile.

Thanks in advance for all help.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fab1987 View Post
    1. I have heard Hemorrhoids can heal themselves? I am hoping this is the case because i don't have access to a doctor, only a medic. I am working out here until the end of April and leaving would be a big problem.

2. They say that a lot of people who get Hemorrhoids see them come back again and again. How true is that? Why is that the case?

3. What can i do to aid in the recovery of this problem ASAP? I plan to stop weightlifting and get help in lifting heavy items in the kitchen. I also plan to drink less coffee and more water. Other than that i can't see what else i can do. It just seems crazy that i am suffering from this considering my profile.
    I didn't fit the profile of a Hemorrhoid sufferer, either, but I got them just the same. A hemorrhoid is a varicose vein of the anus. Varicose veins don't heal completely. They have to be surgically stripped if you want to totally eliminate the problem. I've heard that in the case of hemorrhoids, the fix can be worse than the problem -- at least for a month or so.

1. They did fix themselves. It didn't take very long. I used some "preparation H" to soothe the "Hemorrhoidal tissues" as they say, and waited them out. They felt OK in less than a week.

2. They do come back if they get irritated. I've had a couple of minor bouts since the first.

3. Don't strain when you do a BM. I, personally, wouldn't stop the weight lifting, but I might stop straining when lifting.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    I didn't fit the profile of a Hemorrhoid sufferer, either, but I got them just the same. A hemorrhoid is a varicose vein of the anus. Varicose veins don't heal completely. They have to be surgically stripped if you want to totally eliminate the problem. I've heard that in the case of hemorrhoids, the fix can be worse than the problem -- at least for a month or so.
    Many people get hemorrhoids, it's very common; there's not a "profile" for it. Also, it is not a varicose vein and t only needs to be dealt with surgically if the problem is very severe.

This is a very informative and accurate link:
    Hemorrhoids: External and Internal Hemorrhoids Overview
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Mar 24, 2009, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Many people get hemorrhoids, it's very common; there's not a "profile" for it. Also, it is not a varicose vein and t only needs to be dealt with surgically if the problem is very severe.

This is a very informative and accurate link:
    Hemorrhoids: External and Internal Hemorrhoids Overview

Actually, Perito is correct... hemmorhoids are varicose veins. It's just that they're located in the anus or rectum.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren6 View Post
    Actually, Perito is correct...hemmorhoids are varicose veins. It's just that they're located in the anus or rectum.
    That's the first I've heard of it. I even looked the 2 things up seperately; I found information that they're very similar but not actually the same.

Mar 27, 2009, 07:21 AM

UPDATE:
    I have been using prep H since Monday which has relieved the pain.

Last night when showering I dsicovered some bleeding and what looks like 2-3 pea sized blood clots on the tissue paper. Since then I have had some moderate bleeding.

Im hoping that the blood clots were causing the inflammation and now they are clear the swelling should reduce and the problem sort itself. I am cleaning and washing the area every 3-4 hours to keep things fresh.

I was going to give it until the end of the weekend to see if I recover.

Should I be concerned about the bleeding?

Thanks.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 07:31 AM

Actually, Perito is correct... hemmorhoids are varicose veins. It's just that they're located in the anus or rectum.
    This is a commonly held misconception.Similar,yes,the same,no.

Constipation happens when the stool is hard, small (or "pelletized", so to speak) and requires physical effort before it is passed. Under such demands, the abdominal muscles must contract, a deep breath must be held as the diaphragm is forced downward. This creates strong internal abdominal pressures to help force the contents out of the colon. This additional force from straining is necessary because the pressure from the contraction of the colon walls is inadequate to evacuate the compacted fecal mass.

One unmistakable sign of this physical effort is that the muscles of the neck and face tense up as you strain to evacuate. If you could see it, you'd notice that your face turns red too. But most people don't realize that permanent and destructive changes result from these powerful muscle forces, even if they don't persist for very long.

Veins in your legs are damaged by the straining created by the muscular activity needed for a difficult bowel movement. Valves are located at frequent intervals along the course of the leg veins; they help the blood to rise to the heart, in a stepladder fashion, against the forces of gravity. These valves are stretched and damaged by the high pressures that are required to move small hard dry stools. The valves soon become incapable of holding up the blood. Without valves in good working order, a four foot column of blood presses on the lower veins all day long. One result of this unrelieved pressure is varicose veins, the tortuous blue "worms" which detract so much from the appearance of a person's legs, often causing pain, and, sometimes ulcers.

Similar to varicose veins in causation if not location are hemorrhoids. All kinds of myths are associated with these painful nuisances. Probably you have heard people say they got theirs from sitting on cold toilet seats, or from having babies.

The veins that become hemorrhoids are located in the very last parts of the intestinal tract, called the rectum and the anus. These veins at this terminus of the gut perform the important function of making a tight seal there, by means of blood-filled cushions to prevent feces and gas from leaking out of the intestine. The seal is actually a double one, and consists of two rows of veins. The higher row at the end of the rectum is called the internal hemorrhoidal veins, and the lower row, those in the anus are covered by skin and are called external hemorrhoidal veins. Underlying these veins is a powerful muscle which acts as the primary regulator in the passage of feces, and is therefore of great social, as well as physical, importance.

The hemorrhoid veins in the rectum suffer a fate similar to the veins in the legs. After years of straining at stool, when each time veins are filled beyond their normal capacity, stretching them like over-inflated balloons, they become permanently dilated and hang out of the rectum. Now they are persistent and painful bulges, with the further troublesome symptoms of bleeding and itching. This same straining causes the anal muscles to be pushed outward. Eventually they become displaced from their normal internal position, and contribute this painful part to hemorrhoidal problems.

Pregnancy can increase hemorrhoidal complications, since the uterus may lie on the veins in the pelvis and cause hemorrhoids to be enlarged. However, this temporary situation does not cause the permanent anal ruination that results from chronic constipation. The best example of the overwhelming influence of a starch based diet in preventing anal problems, even in pregnancy, is presented by African women, who often have as many as 10 babies and yet remain free of troublesome hemorrhoids throughout life. These women never have to strain at stool, because of their diet of grains, beans, and vegetables. (They do not have varicose veins troubles, either.)

Yet another potentially serious problem can be caused by constipation. The natural opening in the diaphragm, through which the esophagus passes, stretches as the stomach is pushed up against it while a person strains to move the bowels. Eventually a tear in the muscular diaphragm happens, and the stomach sits forever above the diaphragm, part way up into the chest in the condition that is called a hiatal hernia.

Constipation is not a consequence of an emotional disorder, at least not initially. However, a lifetime of bowel problems could make anyone question his sanity, and lose his stability. If you eat mostly fiber-free foods, such as animal products (e.g. fish, pork, beef, chicken, lobster, cheese, milk, etc.), visible fats (e.g. butter and corn oil), alcohol, and grains that are highly refined (e.g. white bread and white rice), then little will be left to make feces with adequate bulk. Your BM will resemble hard rabbit pellets.

Fibers are the prime requirement for healthy bowel function. Plant foods contain fibers, a variety of non-digestible complex carbohydrates. After all the soluble components derived from digested fats, proteins, and carbohydrates, along with the vitamins and minerals are absorbed from the small intestine, then non-digestible fibers remain (along with a huge number of friendly microorganisms) to form the bulk of the remnant stool. These fibers have the capacity to hold water, thereby increasing the stool volume further. Also, the more foods and beverages that are consumed, the greater will be the intestinal content, and therefore the frequency and amount of the bowel movement.

A starch-based diet along with vegetables and fruits is a sure cure for constipation. Certain foods, like fruits, contain generous amounts of water and fibers, and therefore contribute to a bulkier, softer stool. Prunes are famous for their beneficial effect on constipation, due to the helpful changes they promote in the lower bowel. Grains contain many kinds of fibers, two of which - cellulose and hemicellulose - are very water absorbent. African natives living on a grain based diet have, on the average, have three large, unformed bowel movements a day. So might you too, with a healthier vegetarian diet.

Avoiding proteins from milk and milk products is very important. I have seen some people who have made nearly a complete change to a health supporting diet. But they couldn't give up the little bit of skimmed milk in the morning on their dry cereal--and their bowels didn't work very well. A little dairy protein can literally jam up the works for most people who are sensitive to it.

People who have had intestinal troubles for years, and are labeled as laxative abusers, may have stretched out their colons to twice the normal length and have developed redundant coils of bowel tubing that sort of loop back and forth in the abdominal cavity like a roller coaster. These people need a little extra help. First of all, the colon of a chronic laxative user is accustomed to receiving from a drug the message to contract. The colon has not recently responded to the body's natural message to contract that should be provided by the stretching of the colon wall as the segment fills with remnants of yesterday's meals. A person with such a laxative dependency must be encouraged first to renounce his laxatives, and then to wait patiently while the elongated colon fills enough to provide the natural stimulation to evacuate. Initially several days may be needed to fill a very large, stretched out colon; but eventually the muscles in the bowel wall will contract as they should and a movement will follow. Once a natural cycle of filling and emptying is started with high fiber foods, the process continues unaided by anything except the correct choices of foods.

My Recommendations: A starch-based diet, frequent meals, a little extra water (10 glasses per day instead of the usual 4 or 5) and fruits. Prunes should be eaten as the next step, and following this, for extra help, add flax seeds and bran. Add two to four tablespoons of flax seeds to each cup of a grain, such as rice, before cooking.

Medical Information: Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Varicose Veins
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 07:32 AM

Bleeding is okay as long as it's on the paper, not in your stool. I'd give it a few more days to clear up on its own; if it doesn't, you may want to see the doctor.

Mar 27, 2009, 07:34 AM

Yes, it isn't in the stool only on paper when I wipe. Also it is bright red which I heard is a good thing.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 01:03 PM

A friend of mine had her hemmorhoids removed easily by a physician... he tied them off one at a time and they just fell off from lack of nutrition.

She was so happy with the procedure.

Bet wishes, :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are You a Psorasis Sufferer? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone had any luck using home remedy for psoriasis? A 17 year young friend of mine had a pretty severe case until we hit on Vitamin E. He takes the 400 Vitamin E capsule at breakfast and at night and uses Vitamin E oil on his skin. He has made a remarkable improvement and continues this...

New migraine sufferer [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been having severe migraines for the past 2 weeks for the first time. They come between 7 and 10 PM> He just started lamictal and zoloft and tried eliminating both under doctor's care but is still suffering. It is located from the right temple to the right molar area. It is never...

Vitiligo sufferer [ 3 Answers ]

Have vitiligo covering 70percent body and face wanting to depigment with skin lightning cream what do u recommend and is it available in australia how do I go about achieving this procedure

Deprovera Sufferer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am a young woman and I have recently gotten off the Deprovera shot about 2 months ago. I have recently had sex and I am scared that I may be pregnant. As you know, on the shot you do not get your period. I haven't had mine for about 2 years. Since I've gotten off the shot I haven't gotten...

View more questions Search