Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    triggerhorse Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Phy 11- Starts at rest at cliff edge If accel how far from bottom of cliff will land
    Hi! A car starts at rest a certain distance (150m) away from edge of a cliff (64m high.) If car can accelerate at a certain rate (3.10m/s/s), how far from bottom of cliff will the car land?

I have know idea where to start on this question. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 22, 2009, 06:10 PM
    Hello triggerhorse

First you calculate how fast the car drives at the moment it leaves the cliff.
    You have than a horizontal force (speed), a vertical force (gravity), and a vertical distance (64 meter). Calculate how long it takes to fall 64 meter.
    Than calculate how far the car will travel forwards during that time.
    Consider the air resistance nill.
    Is that enough for you to calculate the distance?

Note : there is a Home --> Education --> Homework Help --> Math Board for this type of questions!

Mar 22, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    Hello triggerhorse

First you calculate how fast the car drives at the moment it leaves the cliff.
    You have now a horizontal force (speed), a vertical force (gravity), and a vertical distance (64 meter). Calculate how long it takes to fall 64 meter.
    Than calculate how far the car will travel forwards during that time.
    Consider the air resistance nill.
    Is that enough for you to calculate the distance?

Note : there is a Home --> Education --> Homework Help --> Math Board for this type of questions!
    Hi! Thanks for the reply. How would I calculate "how fast the car drives at the moment it leaves the cliff?" If I know this, then I think I can work out the question from there.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 08:11 PM

The distance to the edge of the cliff is 150m. The car is traveling horizontally so there is no vertical component. It accelerates (initial velocity = 0)

You should know the formula,

where t is time

That's all you need to know.

Mar 22, 2009, 08:50 PM

Thank you
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 23, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Hello triggerhorse

With all this help and assuming this allowed you to solve the question, please let us have your calculation how far away the car will land from the bottom of cliff.

Mar 23, 2009, 08:08 AM

final step for me was

d=vit+0.5a(tsquared)
    d=30.4(3.6)+0
    d=109.4m
    Not sure if it is correct. Sounds logical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snowball fired from a cliff [ 1 Answers ]

A 1.50 kg snowball is fired from a cliff 13.5 m high. The snowball's initial velocity of 14.0 m/s, directed 41.0° above the horizontal. (a) How much work is done on the snowball by its weight during its flight to the ground below the cliff? 1 J (b) What is the change in the gravitational...

Vectors. Seconds for car to fall off 73-m-high cliff? [ 1 Answers ]

A car drives horizontally off a 73-m-cliff at a speed of 27 m/s. Ignore air resistance. How long will it take the car to hit the ground? How far from the base of the cliff will the car hit? I do not know which equation to start with :confused:.. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Bush Taking GOP Off a Cliff [ 4 Answers ]

"With only 24 percent of Americans thinking the country is on the right track, the behavior of the leading GOP presidential candidates is utterly befuddling. Not a single one has tried to put any distance between himself and the president -- especially on foreign policy, the area of Bush's most...

Wires on my remote control for my Hampton ceiling fan? [ 1 Answers ]

:( I'm having trouble trying to fiqure out which wires on my remote control for my Hampton Ceiling Fan... The remote has wires that do not exactly match up with the ceiling fan... Could you please help?

View more questions Search