Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    busted 123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Pre-employment Background/drug test
    I interviewed and was quickly offered a position at a company. Everything went very quickly (almost too good to be true) with only one interview and then offered the position. After excepting the position I was emailed the accceptance papers which asked me to sign them and start work the following MON. In the papers it said that I will have to submit to a drug/background check. I will be an "at will" employee and will not do the drug/background check until after I have already started with the company.

Problem: I was never asked about my criminal background. I WAS CONVICTED OF A DWI and I also was charged but not convicted of a felony that was dismissed.

Also, I am prescribed to a medication that will cause me to fail the drug test under BENZOS. Even though I do have a prescription I would rather my employer not know that I am taking such medications.

With all these factors considered what should I do ? Does the drug/backgorund screening place tell the employer prescription meds. Used and arrest records ?
    virginiawife Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2009, 05:23 PM
    Typically speaking, background checks pertain to convicted felony charges. There are jobs, however, that will go a bit further, government jobs sometimes for example. Since you had a DWI, it may affect the ability to drive a company vehicle, but may not show on the criminal check.

As far as the drug test, typically employers only look for street drugs (marijuana, cocaine, etc.). If it comes back positive, make sure you already have a note from your doctor--it most likely will not.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 22, 2009, 05:33 PM

Get a doctor's note and bring it to the lab for the blood test. Ask what drugs are being tested for and whether your prescription meds will result in a positive for one of them. And that you don't want the job to know about your medical issues. The lab may then be able to screen that out. And under HIPAA they can't discuss that with the job.

The background check will show any convictions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 06:24 PM

Several things, the lab will give them a pass or fail, normally, so if you want to pass the test, you inform the lab when you take the test of the drugs you take, any drugs,

I take almost 12 drugs every day, I carry the list with me.

Also if they do a criminal history it will show normally only the ones convicted, since if it was dimissed then you were not convicted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failed employment DISA drug test, how long [ 18 Answers ]

How long must I wait before DISA removes my name from there list of failed drug test employees.

Pre-employment background check [ 2 Answers ]

Will A Felony Arrest/charge Show Up On A Pre-employment Background Check ? I Live In The State Of Georgia And Do Not Know What Most Background Checks Show. I Gave A Co-worker A Ride Home Little Did I Know She Had More On Her Person Than Just Her Purse. Thanks For Your Answers.

Employment Background Checks [ 1 Answers ]

Thirteen to fifteen years ago, I had several DUIs within a period of a couple of years. I was going through a divorce and on those occasions acted irresponsibly. How long do employment background checks go back for a job working for the state in the state of Georgia?

Background Check / Employment [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody, First of all, I am so glad to find such a great forum! As of now, I work at this company as Electrical Engineer Intern since Aug 07. I do graduate this Dec with Bsc in Electrical Engineering. My bad luck, not too long ago (weeks ago) got convicted to drug paraphernalia...

Background Check - new employment [ 1 Answers ]

I am a finalist in an interview process for a local municipality for a professional finance position. I have a guilty plea for two DUI's on my record. The DUI was unrelated to my professional life. I am following all the court appointed stipulations and staying within my probation terms. I have...

View more questions Search