Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 04:40 PM
    Hourly Rate for Bookkeeping
    A friend of a friend is just starting up a construction company and has asked me to do his book keeping. Although I have never actually worked as a bookkeeper, bookkeeping has been an aspect for several of my jobs giving me about 12 years experience.

While he is starting up the company, he expects that I will work about 10-15 hours per week. I will work from home using my own computer, fax, phone, etc. Once a month I will be expected to attend a company meeting in his office - approx. 40 minutes from me.

The job could become full time in the future, but it would not be for quite some time.

So my question is... what is a reasonable hourly rate to ask for? I am in NYC. He is in Connecticut.
    WebsiteSolution Posts: 85, Reputation: 10

Mar 23, 2009, 06:31 AM
    Try looking at the classifieds in your area for jobs similar to what you will be doing and see what their hourly rate is. Try the newspaper, and online. As far as travel expenses, maybe just charge for mileage based on the national rates see here: National Business Association - IRS Announces 2009 Standard Mileage Rates
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 05:21 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. I tried your suggestion, but didn't have much luck. Any other ideas?
    WebsiteSolution Posts: 85, Reputation: 10

Mar 24, 2009, 05:27 AM

Why were you unsuccessful? Were there no rates listed with the job descriptions? Try this:
    PayScale - Connecticut State Wages, Hourly Wage Rate
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 05:50 AM
    No, there were not rates listed. But this website is great. Thank you very much for your help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoodhull View Post
    what is a reasonable hourly rate to ask for? I am in NYC. He is in Connecticut.
    Hello jj:

Whatever you would make if you were employed in his office + $5 more per hour to cover the use of your equipment and utilities.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Thanks Ex, I was wondering what additional compensation would be appropriate for that.
    cooch Posts: 38, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 7, 2009, 12:24 PM

Hi JJ, You could also try calling some of the classified ads and asking what rate they are offering as most classified ads don't post rates. I think that NY rates are higher than Connecticut rates. In the future you might think of expanding your services to include NY clients. I have found that having a bookkeeping service is much more lucrative than a full time job.
    nancyjyost Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
    I've been a bookkeeper for 10 years, when I've been laid off the rates vary. I work in the Parsippany Area as a full charge bookkeeper with an income rate of 40-45k. I would never take a job offering less.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2010, 02:37 AM
    Thread is now old and archived.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daycare hourly rate [ 5 Answers ]

In general what do you suppose the daycare will charge you By the hour. Someone told me even on a weekly arrangement if you do not bring in the child for one day you still have to pay for the whole week.

Changing from salaried to hourly rate? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I begin the process to change salaried, exempt store managers to hourly, non-exempt store managers?

Calculating hourly rate [ 1 Answers ]

An employee gets pay $1352.50 bi-monthly. How do you calculate the hourly rate? School employee that only works 184 days a year. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Hourly rate of a salaried employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to figure out an employee's hourly rate by taking his total income from last year, and divide or multiply it by 52 and times or divide by 12... HELP I can't figure out the math... :eek:

How do I figure the hourly rate from my gross pay [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gross annual figure for my pay and I would like to figure out how to compute it as hourly. I always thought you used 2,080 hours in a year but my payroll clerk is telling me it's 2,088

View more questions Search