Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbarlamas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 04:33 AM
    Local profiles on a 800 computer network
    Just wondering about what specifics, local profiles tie down either by using Deep Freeze after copying a specific profile to the default user, or by using the mandatory local profile. I am having some issues with default printers changing after freezing the local proflie. Are they included in a frozen profile? Where can I find exactly what perimeters are frozen by using this method? And is there a better way other than visiting each workstation to put that default profile on each machine and then Freezing it?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 3, 2006, 02:30 AM
    Hi, you should not do this at each PC. Below is a link explaining the mandatory profile setup process. This should be done from the domain controller using active directory. Are all the computers 2000 or XP, if so then this should be fine.

800 pc's is a lot to get around manually, the mandatory profile setup will allow the users to change their environment but will not keep those changes the next time they log on!

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307800
    dbarlamas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Local profiles
    What exactly does the mandatory local profile tie down? Where do printers fit in?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 3, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Check out this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137434/en-us
    It might help with the random default printer problem.

Think of a mandatory profile this way: You setup a machine on your network with all the settings and desktop as you would like. You can then set this profile to load whenever certain users log on to the network. Now, when they are logged in to the system, they can tinker and change things, but when they log off, those changes aren't saved as it's a read only profile. Therefore when they next log on the default profile is back. Given this scenario, they'l soon stop trying to customise their destkop as it doesn't stay.

To lock aspects down whist they are working, you would probably use Group Policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding W2 and state/local tax.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When filing the state tax form, do we need to add both state tax (W2 - Box 17) and local tax (W2 - Box 19) for reporting the total tax withheld by the state OR the amount in Box 17 suffices? My status for 2005 was F1/OPT. Any help is appreciated! Thanks..

Personal Profiles [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to locate a friend on the Web. I know she has Cox Internet but I don't know her email. Is there a way of finding her email? Thank You

Gmail profiles [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to trace out a profile of Gmail. Basically I am getting emails from one of the gmail accounts and I would like to traceout the persons details based on his... may be a way to check the gmail profile just like Yahoo... Thanks

Local Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I just want to ask, since I don't know what to do yesterday about my 2 local disk partition, I decided to re-install the OS, and delete all the local partition that I have. What's left to me is the C:\ drive, I lost the drive that has a 7.8 MB free space. Is there a way I can retrieve...

Local Disk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I really thought that way. But when I check the contents of the remaining local disk it is still the same. I mean before I formatted the contents of d:\ drive is 18.6 GB and the C:\ drive is 7.8 MB after formatting, I really don't know where did the 7.8 MB contents of C:\ drive goes,...

View more questions Search