Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmnotok Posts: 217, Reputation: 37

Mar 22, 2009, 12:20 AM
    I cant put up with my parents' pressure
    Hi people,

So recently I just have a new boyfriend, the one I ever dreamed of. Hes great and I love him. But what's wrong with my parents. I don't get them. First when I didn't have a boyfriend 3-4 months ago, they said they're worried about me, that I need to start thinking about having a husband and so on... Now I have one. And they said I need to keep some distance from him that I shouldn't go out so much. Damn, I never go out everyday, plus, I always go home before 11 pm. They even told me that my ex-bf was my failure that we didn't get married and my exbf was a bastard. I never thought he was, we just didn't get along and I'm not a failure. Recently, they constantly talk and give ideas/advices about what I SHOULD DO with my new boyfriend. I told them not to get involved because its personal relationship. They don't even know him, and they said they know what a man wants from a woman. They don't even know what I want and they said I HAVE to do what they said because ITS GOOD, its moral.

Why are my parents keeping on wearing me down? I feel like I want to stay away from all of them. I can't put up with the pressure from them. I feel like there's no way out. I told them that I'm an adult, able to know what's right, what's wrong, what should be and what shouldn't, and if this relationship doesn't work, it should be my own experience, and that they don't need to step in and mess me up. Everything is cool with my and my new boyfriend. But they refused to listen to me. They told me I'm a bad girl. They want it to be their way, not MY way, not what I WANT. What should I do?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 03:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmnotok View Post
    What should i do?
    I don't know your culture, your age, or your situation, but sometimes parents can be trained. My parent's used to bug me incessantly about getting a haircut whenever my hair started to get a little long. So, I started adding a week until I got a haircut every time they mentioned it. They eventually shutup about it when they couldn't stand to see me anymore. You could impose an additional year or boyfriend before marriage for every time they hassled you. You sound level-headed, so have fun with it or ignore them and live your life.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 12:28 PM

I'm 55, and my mom is still on my case for anything (everything) she can find.

My kids are in their 30's, you think I don't point out what's good for them?

Of course I do, that's what parents do, get on their kids nerves.

Luv 'em, and don't take it personally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Step parents and grand parents [ 2 Answers ]

are there any laws in pa say that stepparents nad grandparents have right to say what goes in my child's life ?

Deep well, pressure tank/switch not building pressure [ 13 Answers ]

The only way I have water pressure is to leave the power on! I have replaced the 5 gallon pressure tank (28psi when void of water)/fittings/pressure gauge and tried 3 new 30/50 pressure switches and the problem remains the same. With the power off, the pressure drops to 0 (not 30). When I...

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Do you add 30 410a freon pressure like you do r22 and r12 for high side pressure in c [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to add 30 to the ambeint air temp. like you do for r22 and r12 to R410a freon to get the proper high side pressure reading

View more questions Search