Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adrescher Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Fathers name left off birth certificate
    My son in law's name is not on his child's birth certificate because my daughter and he were not married at the time of her birth. The reason he wasn't put on the birth certificate was because my daughter's divorce was not final from her previous husband. How can they have his name put on the certificate without having to hire an attorney? They cannot afford to hire an attorney and I'm trying to help them get this done. His daughter is 5 years old now and they have not done it because they were told it required an attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2009, 08:17 PM

Check with the local family court for the process.

Mar 21, 2009, 08:27 PM

They did and were told to hire an attorney. I can't believe it would be that difficult to do themselves. We are in Effingham County, Georgia and I think they just don't want to be bothered.
    logicalthinker Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 09:12 PM

Is her ex husband listed on the birth certificate?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 09:19 PM

Its because if she was married at the time of conception up unto birth then the presumed father in many states is the husband. If that is correct there may not even be a challenge that can progress without the ex husbands permission or denial of the child.

Mar 21, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Yes, the presumed father is the ex-husband because he was the husband at time of birth. He would have to give permission to list the biological father on the birth certificate. It seems that he could give permission by affidavid or something like that and they could go forward with the process. Does not seem like a big deal since both biological father and ex-husband is willing participants.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adrescher View Post
    It seems that he could give permission by affidavid or something like that and they could go forward with the process. Does not seem like a big deal since both biological father and ex-husband is willing participants.
    The problem here is that a birth certificate is a legal document. As such to change it may require a court order. So check with your local Family Court for the process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to put fathers name on birth certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 6 months pregnant and getting a lot of hassel from my ex partner(babys dad) and his mother they treat me as if I'm stupid and say I have mental problems when I stick up for myself I have never said I would stop them seeing the baby when she comes along do I need to put his name on certificate

How do I add my fathers name to my birth certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My mother never put my fathers name on my birth certificate. (nice one mom) I found him a couple of years ago and met him for the first time and it was great and blah blah blah and he's OK with me putting his name on it, but I have no idea where to start. What do I need to get from him to do this?...

Fathers name on birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get my name on my sons birth certificate with out the mother being present in cobb county ga?

Fathers name on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

Through DNA, my brother is the father of the child. At birth the mother did not put his name on the birth certificate because she did not know if he would step up and take responsibility. I'm proud to say, yes he has and doing an fantastic job. The child is now two years old and my brother was...

View more questions Search