Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klacey26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Basement door replacement
    I need some advice on wooden doors for basement entryways. My home currently has a wooden door for the basement entrance. It has not held up very well. The door is partially below the grade level (roughly 50-50). My understanding is that this contributes to the door aging, as it is more often than not damp below grade. The question is it okay to use a wooden door for an entrance below grade, or should you use a more waterproof material like steel or fiberglass? Any and all experiences or advice is appreciated.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Surely a steel door will work much better - and a prehung will be the way to go.

Steel exterior doors are generally cheaper than wood ones, and you'll find that installing a prehung is a fairly simple job for a diy'er.

Take measurements of the opening then take that measurement with you to lowes/homedepot to confirm they've got a fit.

... I think these are your best next steps.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 3, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Like rickj said steel would be a better way to go. If your door opening is a standard opening (28", 30", 32", 36") and the door jambs are not rotted you can by a door "slab" of the size you need. A "slab" is the door only. No jambs, hinges, knobs.
    Measure your existing door itself to see if it is close to the sizes mentioned above and also take a measurement of the door height. A standard door height ids 6'-8". Most exterior basement doors are shorter. To have a steel door cut down from HD or Lowe's is expensive. I usually just cut the bottoms off myself and install an adjustable threshold on the door bottom.
    If the wood door is an odd size but the rough opening is big enough, like rickj said, install a pre-hung door.
    To special order from HD or Lowe's is about twice the cost if you can buy a stock door.
    Just another note, the stell doors come in primer gray. This is not a finish coat so make sure to paint the door w/ a rustoleum paint to prevent rusting of the door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

Cutting foundation for basement door [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foundation wall that is 4' and I'd like to dig down to the floor level and then cut the wall to put in a door (create exit for basement). I will be removing 4' of dirt covering the floor/footings. Can I do this? I'd like to put stairs (concrete) on the outside of the home leading up to...

Pet Door [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a cinder block house and want to cut out a hole for my cat pet door. Can I do this if the wall is not a load bearing one?:confused: Jansbear

Door bell ringer replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing just the ringer part of the doorbell (the type of doorbell with a transformer). Should I shut off the electricity when doing this, or since they are low-voltage wires is it OK to install it with the electricity on? Or is this a stupid question ;) The way the electricians wired our...

View more questions Search