Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MeGustaUnaPez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 05:42 AM
    How to start with construction of my dream house?
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to find contractors? I have been looking online and all I have seen are sites where you have to describe the job then wait to get called from a contractor or if I find a directory type of site there is a limited number of contractors in my area, but I know there are many more. I am trying to build my first house and I was planning on hiring all the contractors so I need a good resource to find them. Something with reviews and article would also be very beneficial, please let me know if anyone knows of a good place to look.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Sounds like you want to dispense with a general contractor and do the job yourself. This can be dangerous unless you have a background in all phases of construction.
    All trades must follow one another in a orderly fashion and you'll be the one to schedule them in. Are you able to spot mistakes or code vbiolations in the different trades such as plumbing, electrical, or carpentry? You're biting off a big chunk, are you going to be able to chew it? Good luck in whatever you decide, Tom
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 09:08 AM
    The best way to find people is through recommendations. Speak to family, friends, coworkers. If there is a house in your city or neighborhood that you really like, contact the owners and ask them who built their house.

Have you found an architect yet? If so, he or she should be able to recommend several builders whom they have worked with.

If you go solely by internet advertising, you will waste a lot of time trying to find someone who suits you.
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 01:03 PM
    We hired all of the subcontractors for construction of our home. The best hire was a framer (general contractor) who had the experience to run the full job. He gave us a bunch of referrals for other subcontractors which made the job much easier. He preferred just doing the framing, but really helped us deal with the subs because of his "pull" with them (i.e. he used them on many other jobs). We made sure to include him in the "bonus" payments.

As Speedball says, you are biting off a big chunk if you don't already have experience in a few of the trades or pay a person with experience to help oversee the job. We were very lucky with our find.

The best way to find your subcontractors, if you're going to do it yourself, is to get referrals from people in your area that have gone through the same process. The architect referrals that JJ mentioned can also bring a few contacts. Don't take the chance by posting a "help wanted" ad because it's such a big risk.

If there's an Angieslist.com site for your area, you might check out their contractor reviews. I have found a few good people using that. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I start looking for grants to start up construction business in Mn. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello,I am John and I would appreciate any help I could get on finding some grants or low interest loans for starting a concrete contracting business.I have searched some sites but most want money for a kit.My credit is not very good and I am just trying to start a small construction business.I am...

New House Construction [ 2 Answers ]

What would happened to wall stubs and osb during the construction under rain and heat condition? What is the normal time frame for building the house before the lumbers get damage? i.e. no more than 6 weeks? Thanks

House construction Vs rent [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please give the xls spread sheet for the following showing NPV at 6% and payout period. 1. currently renting 80 houses, total at SR 3,200,000 per year 2. Inflation of house rent 2% per year 3. Intend to...

View more questions Search