Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crpapa Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Faucet and shower run simultaneously
    In remodeling my bathroom I installed a tub with enclosure and a Price Pfister single handle control valve replacing a three handle. The shower head is 44" from the valve and the faucet is 6". I am concerned these distances will not work with the new valve. What options do I have to correct the problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crpapa
    In remodeling my bathroom I installed a tub with enclosure and a Price Pfister single handle control valve replacing a three handle. The shower head is 44" from the valve and the faucet is 6". I am concerned these distances will not work with the new valve. What options do I have to correct the problem?
    Hey Papa,

I'd be glad to help you out if I could see where you had a problem. You'll have between 45 and 60 PSI of pressure pushing the water up those pipes. Those distances will work on any valve that you install. Good luck, tom

Sep 2, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Could the valve be in wrong? Is there a check valve in the control valve that keeps the water from rising until you clost the faucet valve?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 01:56 PM
    I'm still confused. Are we talking about a shower raiser from the valve. I am trying to figure out what you're talking about. Please take the time to explain your problem in detail. What is it that bothers you? Tom

Sep 2, 2006, 07:39 PM
    When the water is turned on and starts to come out of the faucet it also comes out of the shower so that the shower and the faucet are running at the same time.

I do not want the shower to come on until I pull up the shutoff in the faucet to force the water to the shower. I want to be able to fill my tub with out the shower pouring on my head.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2006, 06:28 AM
    OK Pops,

It's all making sense now. You through me off by using the term "faucet" instead of "spout".

Tell me if this looks like the spout,(see image) you have on your tub with the pull up knob to divert from tub to shower? Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 4, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Yes that is similar to it.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 4, 2006, 07:31 AM
    These diverter spouts are inexpensive and easy to replace. Most Home Depots or Lowe's have them in stock. If you need assistance in replacing it ckick on back. Regards and I'm glad we're back on the same page. Tom

Sep 5, 2006, 06:02 PM
    The spout and the valve are both brand new. And the spout gives every evidence of working correctly.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Most faucets have a restricter built into the valve body that will keep the water from rising up to the shower head when you turn the faucet on. May I ask how much water comes out of the shower head when you turn on the faucet... is it just a dribble or is it a full shower head full. When you lift th diverter on the end of the spout does it stop the water from going down into the tub or not?. If you don't find any other solution I have an idea for you. You can buy a chrome cut off that will go on th shower arm and the shower head will screw onto it. This cut off will stop all water coming out of the head until you want it to.

Sep 6, 2006, 02:16 PM
    I removed the spout and put the six inch nipple back on with no spout and the water still comes out of the shower head

I will try the Depot and Lowe's. Thanks Charlie
    Don B. Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 08:14 PM
    I believe you should check to see if this faucet is installed upside down. On the body of the faucet will be some marking indicating which port is up or top of the faucet. If you have it in upside down it will behave as you have described. Hope this solves your problem.
    Don B.
    Eternal Plumber

May 16, 2009, 06:18 AM
    Letme tell you was in error when he stated,
    Most faucets have a restricter built into the valve body that will keep the water from rising up to the shower head when you turn the faucet on.
    Most follow a simple rule of physics which is water will follow the path of least resistance and that path is from the valve to the spout. It takes more pressure to drive the water up the shower raiser to the shower head then to the spout.
    I believe that you've installed the valve and diverter in correctly. So what does that leave?
    House pressure!! If your house pressure was so high it overcame the resistance of the raiser head pressure the it would force water up the raiser when filling the tub. Check the house pressure, it should be between 45 and 60 PSI. Do you have a PRV,(pressure reducing Valve) (see image) installed on your water service? Let me know, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaking shower faucet and tried to take faucet apart to change the o-ring but was not able to takeout more than a cover for the screw and the screw that was under it. I have not located the ORING CAN any one please help. I have a symmons Temptrol brand.:confused: You need to replace...

Faucet still runs when shower is turned on. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three handle faucet. I replaced the washer on the end of the stem, but that wasn't the problem. What could it be?

No hot water in shower after replacing faucet [ 1 Answers ]

We just replaced the faucet for the shower in our bathroom (no tub, only shower). Water turns on & off fine & the pressure is good. However, when we turn the knob to the left (hot), we do not get hot water after this replacement. As we only replaced the faucet, we can't figure out why. Any...

Shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When I turn on the shower the water still runs out of faucet.

Shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I had a plumber out to replace the cartridge in my shower faucet because the shower head was dripping It has stopped leaking but now I don't have much hot water coming out. Is this something I can fix myself?

View more questions Search