Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdie74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 08:35 AM
    My name is not on the deed, what now?
    :confused: I plan on retaining an attorney as soon as I get the funds, but in the meantime, I have questions! We have been married for 4 years, together for a total of 12 years. First thing is our home. We bought it from his mother, no contract-just verbal. My husband took out a mortgage on it and my name is not on the deed or the mortgage. (the "mortgage money" did not go towards the home to fix it as it was supposed to-it went towards Harley he wanted)
    I do not want to move out of the house because I feel it would cause chaos and stress to move in my son's life, this is the only place we have lived and he would be leaving behind all his friends. (he is 9 years old) So what is the scoop on that, I have heard that it is illegal that my name in not on the deed or mortgage (just his and his mother) since we were married when "he" bought the house. I have paid all the utility bills (they are in my name) and some of the payments to his mother. Do I have a leg to stand on as far as the house goes? The second question I have is during our marriage, he has accumulated many guitars (some I paid for) would that be considered community property?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2006, 11:51 AM
    First no it is not illegal not to put your name on a deed, as a married couple my wife and I often invest in various properties only deeded in one or the other name. To protect certain assests.

Next unless you live in a community property state then items you own are not community property. So the state you live in.

But most courts do view property bought while married as jointly owned reqardless of whose names is on the deed, So a divorce attorney can merely sue for 1/2 interest in the home regardless of any names on the deed.

But do expect his mother to claim the house is stll hers and his name put on only to transfer ownership when she dies, ( yes people lie in divorce court)

Next all the property you and he own can be divided and asked for, that is what divorce is all about plus child support payments and more.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Talk to an attorney. Your name should certainly be on the deed since you bought the house jointly. The guitars may well be considered community property, especially if you can prove that you paid for some of them.
    birdie74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 03:08 PM
    Thank you for your answers! ;)
    Unsecured Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 03:35 PM
    My husband and I bought this house but it is only in his name because I have bad credit but I feel after two years I feel more secured if the house deeds has my name also
    Unsecured Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
    My husband and I bought this house but it is only in his name because I have bad credit but I feel after two years I feel more secured if the house deeds has my name also
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by birdie74 View Post
    ... The second question I have is during our marriage, he has accumulated many guitars (some I paid for) would that be considered community property?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Next unless you live in a comunity property state then items you own are not community property. So the state you live in.
    OP appears to be in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    ... The guitars may well be considered community property, especially if you can prove that you paid for some of them.
    Oklahoma does not appear to be a community property state.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    OP appears to be in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma does not appear to be a community property state.

You are addressing a 5 year old post that was resurected by someone today. Watch the dates. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many names on the deed? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question: I am building a new home in Texas where my fiancé and I plan on living (and we plan on getting married in about a year). Since my credit and my salary is better than hers, I am the only one on the mortgage, but now the question is what names to put on the deed. In...

Name on deed [ 3 Answers ]

What do I have to do to put my sons name on the deed to my house

Contract for Deed again [ 2 Answers ]

I don't understand. We own 20 acres. There is another 20 acres next to us that our neighbor wants to sell. They are asking way more than the value. So we did some research and found out that it is a contract for deed. We contacted who the deed is with and he said he will sell the property to us...

Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My question is: I bought a house about 6 years ago when I was a single mom. Recently I got married and have NOT put my husbands name on the deed. Now my question is, if I decide to divorce him does he have any rights to my house?

View more questions Search