Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beckysue1973 Posts: 9, Reputation: 5

Mar 20, 2009, 11:52 PM
    Try to find my paternal grandfather
    Hi All,
    Any help at all with this subject would be greatly appreciated. All I have is the city, surname, and that his family possible owned a drug store that doesn't exist anymore. My grandmother would never give my dad a straight answer about who his father really was. Possibly gave him a false name of a man that she was married to that was not his father, because it is a known fact that they did not know each other until after my dad was born. My great uncle recalls his dad confronting the man that was possibly my grandfather but nothing was ever confirmed. That is where I got what information that I have. But now my dad and great uncle are both deceased. Confronting my grandmother is out of the question. Please help!
    Anka Software Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2009, 07:27 AM

If you have the $$$ employ a detective, to dig in muncipal / phone records etc.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 12:18 PM

If you don't have a name, you're going to have a VERY hard time with this---ESPECIALLY since you aren't the adoptive parent, birthparent or adoptee.

May I ask WHY asking your grandmother is out of the question? And what your interest is? Is there a medical need to know?
    beckysue1973 Posts: 9, Reputation: 5

Mar 21, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Because my dad died without ever knowing who his real father really was, and I know that it was always something that really bothered him. My dad never got a chance to try and contact his real father and see if they could establish a relationship. He tried to get his mother to tell him but I think that she was ashamed and it was suppose to be a big secret or something. The only reason that he finally got a name from her was because when my parents were getting married he needed a name for the paperwork. My grandmother is 78 years old now with all kinds of heart problems and I don't want to upset her by bring this up after all these years. My great uncle told us a couple of months after my dad passed away that he remembered my grandmothers father confronting a man about getting my grandmother pregnant. He gave us the last name and the name of a business that his family owned. It bothers me that all this came out after my dad passed away, and I would like to know the truth. I don't want to confront anyone, or ruin anybodys family. I just feel like there is a big hole in my families history. Hope that answers your questions.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:04 PM

Because you don't have a name, your options are VERY limited, and it will probably get expensive.

Your best bet is to hire a private detective.

It's VERY unusual that your grandmother did not choose adoption for your father. That far back, there was a HUGE stigma about being a single mother.
    AlpineAnnie Posts: 77, Reputation: 13

Mar 23, 2009, 04:54 AM

If the last name isn't extremely common, you can Google the name of the drug store with that city, state and the last name and see if any newspaper articles come up, etc. For instance, let's say that your grandfather's last name is elliott and he was from Topeka, Kansas... you can Google Elliott Drug Store Topeka Kansas.

Read everything that comes up. That long ago it can be difficult but not impossible. Frequently there were stories published in town newspapers that involved local families/business owners. You can then call everyone with that last name in that town. Without a first name - it's going to be really hard. There is no reason to assume that anyone in your grandfather's family will even know that he had a child so they may not be able to help either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was looking for my grandfather [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking for my grandfather donald reed killion and my page got deteled I didn't do it I was wondering what happen its feel really scary for my page to up in deteled that don't feel safe at all

My grandfather [ 7 Answers ]

My pop pop died July 12 and he was almost 96 My fiancé would not go to the funeral with me, I didn't know until later that he had a prior "gaming" engagement with his friends, that he has not bothered to hang out with in a year or so. In asking further he said he felt not welcomed by my...

Grandfather died. [ 2 Answers ]

My grandfather just passed away yesterday. I just feel so terrible because he had Parkinson's disease and I couldn't really speak to him well. I don't know how to deal with this because I never got the chance to say bye. What should I do?

Great Grandfather [ 1 Answers ]

MY GGrandfather is shown in Scioto CO, OH from 1830 through 1860 (Census) After that his wife is shown as a widow. There is no indication that he died in the Civil War, where can I go from here to try to find his parents?

View more questions Search