Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 09:33 PM
    Jet engine intake vortices
    Had observed a 747 on the tarmac in damp weather and there was a large vortex extending from the front of the engine to the pavement like an inverted tornado. My first thought was, what a good job it was doing cleaning the ramp, but then I got to wondering why the funnel mouth had settled onto the pavement. I know that the swirling air created a venturi and thereby caused the interior to have a lower pressure, but does this phenomenon result in the funnel being heavier than the surrounding air, making it sink down?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 21, 2009, 07:07 AM

Might have something to do with effect of the constrained space between the underside of the engine cowling and ground (and maybe between the ground and the wing) biasing the airflow pattern. A constraint like that would lower the local pressure between the (constraints) as air is moving (Bernoulli effect). Just speculation, frankly... but in any case you do not have a symmetrical system so some biase one way or the other should not be a surprise.
    561packrat Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 04:40 AM
    Yeah, now that you mention it the airflow interaction might be creating a lower net air pressure near the ground. Thanks, ken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99 honda civic, engine light blinking, engine start jumping. [ 4 Answers ]

When I was driving home, my car start shaking, then I stopped and turn the engine off. When I started back up, the engine still little jumpy and the engine light start blinking. Did any body knows what's going on? Please help. Thanks

My 16 hp vanguard engine made a terrible racket inside the engine no longer runs, why [ 2 Answers ]

Mower was running fine, started making a noise inside engine, lost power, noise returned, and engine died. No longer will start, just spins. Is the engine trashed or possibly fixable?

Impossible of change v6 engine to EX engine in honda 1997 model [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to change v6 engine in honda 1997 model Ex engine (V-TEC) and what are the possible components that will change

View more questions Search