Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dixie6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Change of behaviour in 1 year old cat
    My 1 year old female (desexed) cat has had a sudden change of behaviour. She has gone from a very confident, relaxed cat who loved being outside, to a cat that won't go outside (unless someone is with her), lays around, but has 'panic attacks' where she runs around rapidly for about twenty - thirty seconds before sitting back down again and begins rapidly cleaning herself. She has also become very needy and feels the need to be perched on my shoulder (not the easiest thing to deal with!) and at night wants to sleep very close to my face - I feel as though she wants to feel my breath on her. She is still eating and using her litter tray, and has no visual signs of being attacked. There has been no changes within her environment. Any ideas?
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 23, 2009, 07:44 PM

It is breeding season, and I suspect there is a lot of kitty drama going on outside that a human would never notice. She may smell tomcat spray or hear fighting/mating noises from some distance away.
    Encourage her to stay inside, and check to see if your vet carries Feliway, a calming cat hormone that comes as a spray or a diffuser. It might help her feel more safe from everything happening in the outdoor environment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change in behaviour towards other pet cat [ 2 Answers ]

We have two 11 year old cats from the same litter. They have always cleaned each other, slept and sit together. Last week the male cat was diagnosed with diabetes and had to spend 48 hours in the emergency pet hospital. He came home and I now give him insulin shots twice a day. However, since...

Drastic change in behaviour [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 cats, the youngest we got about 6 months ago. Our oldest cat was not happy but tolerated her up to now. All of a sudden The eldest is trying to kill her, to the point where the youngest is urinating and defecating all over the place. I have a feeling that the youngest is unstable, we found...

View more questions Search