Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaintingCompany Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Advertising Ideas
    Hello,

I have been doing a lot of advertising for my painting company but haven't seen any results!
    The Advertising co I hired is really good they got me in the 1st page of Google - 3/10 listings in the google's 1st page are mine! But why haven't I seen any responses In the month of march I have only gotten 2 calls! I don't know what else to do. Any one got any ideas?

Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 08:08 PM

Hi, PaintingCompany!

One of the things that I do, is that like you, I'm a house painter. Most of my new business comes from the free advertising that I've placed on the Internet because of the way that I've worded my ads. My ads for my various businesses will dominate the first three or four pages of a Google search when people look for the kind of things that I do.

Are your ads being on the first page of a Google search because of people looking for the name of your business?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 08:17 PM

Okay, I was hoping that you would still be online, PaintingCompany as I would really like to help you with this!

I'll return after awhile and hope that you might be on here. I'm house and dog-sitting for some friends and have just set up my computer in their home, but still have some things that I need to do...

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2009, 09:10 PM

Clough,
    Thanks for your quick response. On Google when you put the name of my business I'm the first four listings. When you put painting company in (my city) I am the first one in the local business section - the one with the map and also about two other listings are mine(middle and last).
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 09:48 PM

Hi PaintingCompany,

Clough is our resident expert on web advertising, he can help you a lot.

I would also suggest that in addition to this you might seriously consider placing flyers on doors. Both residential and commercial buildings. And maybe start the flyer by asking a prominent question such as;

'Do you want quality and a competitive price?' .....

'Make your home look like new at a fair price with polite and professional workers.'

'Is it time to paint? Why do it yourself when we can do it faster, better and all for a great price!'

Then put your company name and phone number in large print. Keep it short and sweet.

Think of the things that your customers want... and approach it from their point of view...

Stringer.

Mar 20, 2009, 10:11 PM

Thanks Stringer!
    I was thinking of passing out Flyers but I was told advertising online was a better way to go. But I will definitely pass out flyers. I guess it's a combination of both online and print advertising.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 10:15 PM

Hi again, PaintingCompany!

I'm back, after taking care of some things.

Please click HERE and let me know what you see.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintingCompany View Post
    Thanks Stringer!
    I was thinking of passing out Flyers but I was told advertising online was a better way to go. But I will definately pass out flyers. I guess it's a combination of both online and print advertising.
    I too, give things out. I post my small shingle with tear-off tabs, any place where I can find a public bulletin board where I can stick it up with a couple of tacks. You'll find these sort of bulletin boards in public libraries, bowling alleys, quick-mart type of places, Laundry mats, community centers, etc.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 10:39 PM

Are you still there, PaintingCompany? I hope that we didn't lose you!

Mar 21, 2009, 07:53 AM

Clough,
    Wow you are in the first 10 pages of Google. I thought I had an advantage for having the first page. If you don't mind how did you manage to do that?

Mar 21, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Are you still there, PaintingCompany? I hope that we didn't lose you!
    Different Time Zone! (Pacific). I was on here late last night my time. But I'm back - will be checking in all day.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 08:17 AM
    When I have someone do work in my house - painting, plumbing, repair - I ask friends for recommendations. I would not have someone in my house that I found on the internet. That's just me - I'm sure many people would. But I think word of mouth is the best advertisement.

So, along those lines... Can you include testimonials from clients in your advertising? Also, can you ask 2 or 3 of your former clients to be available as references? Is your house well kept? Can you show your home to potential clients as an example of your work?

Also, contact local builders or contractors in your city. If you can sell yourself to them, then you will not need to sell yourself to the individual client. The general contractors will contact you when they have a new job.

Mar 21, 2009, 08:48 AM

jjwoodhull,

Thanks - I do have testimonials on my website, and in back of my business cards, I also do have references available.

Great tip on contacting general contractors I will get a list today and start contacting them on Monday.

Again, Thanks!

Mar 21, 2009, 08:52 AM
    So, along those lines... Can you include testimonials from clients in your advertising? Also, can you ask 2 or 3 of your former clients to be available as references? Is your house well kept? Can you show your home to potential clients as an example of your work?

We actually go to the potential clients home since we need to see their home to be able give them an estimate. I have offered my home as an example but since potential clients have a list of painters they are calling they won't take the time to see it. The best I can go is pics. But Thanks
    Business Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 08:59 AM
    jjwoodhull,

Thanks - I do have testimonials on my website, and in back of my business cards, I also do have references available.

Great tip on contacting general contractors I will get a list today and start contacting them on Monday.

Again, Thanks!
    A suggestion; Possibly offer your references a monetary reward for taking their time to give the reference, say $20 for all that become contracts or a job.

Also, do you belong to the union/s?

Stringer

Mar 21, 2009, 09:05 AM

No we don't belong to a union.

I have never thought about rewarding my references - I must sound very selfish but that's a great incentive! ($20)
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 09:11 AM
    It is a great idea! However, instead of offering cash, you might want to offer money off your next contract with them. Or give them the choice - $20 cash or $50 off the bill next time they hire you.
    Business Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 09:13 AM
    No we don't belong to a union.

I have never thought about rewarding my references - I must sound very selfish but that's a great incentive! ($20)
    Over 37 years in business, I have found that even after securing a reference doesn't insure that they will say 'all' positive things. I talk with our references prior to giving them as references and even suggest the things that the prospect would like to know about and how important their reference is to me.

If any of this information helps you, please rate my response.

Stringer
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Clough,
    Wow you are in the first 10 pages of google. I thought I had an advantage for having the first page. If you don't mind how did you manage to do that?
    Yes, most of what you see for many pages, is me in that search. There are other searches for what I do where I'm also very well exposed. I don't have much time to be on here right now, because I have to do some work. I will return to here much later this evening so that hopefully, we'll be able to discuss about this "live". I hope that you have time also, to do that later tonight!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2009, 09:09 PM

I'm sorry that it takes me so long to get on here, PaintingCompany! I know that it's much later for you. I didn't see that you were on here. But, now you are!

Would you like to work on something to get you exposed better when people look for what you do, where you do it? I have the time right now if you do.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advertising a Painting Co [ 8 Answers ]

I just got hired to advertise a small painting business. I just did their web site but they are on a very low budget so I just made them a very cheap one from a template. & they didn't want hosting so Google doesn't even recognize them at all! I need to figure out how to market their business with...

Advertising? Inflatables? [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved to the bay area in California and I'm looking to start a new business and was wondering if anyone can suggest an outdoor advertising company (not only billboards, but signs, inflatables and other forms of advertising/marketing). Thanks in advance!

AOL and advertising [ 5 Answers ]

AOL is suddenly attaching a line to all my outgoing emails (something about "click here to get your credit score"). I contacted them and said I'm not advertising for AOL, take that off my emails. They said they don't have to but have nothing to back statement up. They also can't tell me how...

View more questions Search