Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pratik_dharek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Can I be considered Part Resident and fill taxes jointly
    I entered US on 12 July 2008. This is the first time I travelled to US. I am here on H1 B Visa and my wife travelled along with me. She is on H4 Visa.

Can I file my taxes for year 2008 jointly. She needs to apply for ITIN then.

Please suggest me

Thanks a lot,
    Pratik
    mysticgarden Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pratik_dharek View Post
    I entered US on 12 July 2008. This is the first time I travelled to US. I am here on H1 B Visa and my wife travelled along with me. She is on H4 Visa.

Can I file my taxes for year 2008 jointly. She needs to apply for ITIN then.

Please suggest me

Thanks a lot,
    Pratik
    Yes, you can file jointly and yes, she will need to apply for an ITIN. It does not matter if she worked or not to be able to file jointly and it could help help you in the deduction. Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) is the one of the highest standard deductions you can get. Plus you will get her personal exemption. She will need her original birth certificate and a government issued ID.
    pratik_dharek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 01:12 PM

But I do not clear the substantial presence test for 2008. I was here only for 173 days considering from 12 July 2008.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 05:57 PM

You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly.
    You will have to wait for to file your tax return till you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2009.

You will get standard deduction of $10,900 and exemptions for both of you.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2008. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or you can use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and attach with your tax return. You can also deduct moving expenses. Use form 3903.
    Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Definition of Part Time State Resident for Income Taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I am a project manager working for an engineering and construction management company. My office is located in NC. I have just been assigned a project in NY. I visit the job site in NY every 2 weeks and stay for about 12 days, so I am in NY about 40% of the time. I do have an apartment in NY...

How to file taxes for part year resident in NY and NJ? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in New Jersey for all of 2007. I lived in NJ from Jan to August and then moved to NY. How do I report my income to both states and what tax forms do I file for 2007?

Part time resident taxes for MA and GA [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was MA resident till July 07 after which I moved to GA through the same company. Do I have to pay state taxes to both states, or how does it work? Thanks Kumar

Taxes: part time resident MA [ 1 Answers ]

I was in MA from 01/09/06 to 08/17/06(around 220 days ) then I moved to Texas. While filing the status will it be Part time resident or full time resident since I was in MA for more than 180 days? Thanks, Mav~

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search