Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgbtnation Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 10:13 PM
    Domain Ownership
    Help,

First, thanks for having this site. And I'm glad to have joined

Background:
    Now. I created a website called LGBTNation.org. because I was working at another site that was using all my talents for free, and they were making money. So I started my site. Because I have good network contacts.

One of the volunteers, I worked with, I asked to come join me and help with recruiting and some editing for the website. Contracts, etc.

He's 22, lives in Trinidad, (I live in USA) anyway, I own the domain site, but I told him he can be co-founder (big mistake) but he had to sign and contract that I set up for at-will-volunteer, both parties can say, you can go if it's not working out. He signed all is good. But to start the site, he used his credit card to start us off. I told him that I would change all this after I get set here in Chicago.

There was something where he got an interview from a very big company (MTV) and did not tell me about it, was being closed mouth and should not have had the meeting because I handle all media. Anyway, He also hasn't done anything with the site, I have done it all. I made sure the name was registered with me. Be I had him set it up. (His credit card, etc) I just felt he was trying to take my site, so I changed all access, to the site and deleted his rights.

Anyway, the company knows me, has only worked with me, but because of this bad feeling, and some communication issues, I thought it was best to break our relationship. I'm owner, he volunteers, at this point.

He got lawyer, called the company and told them that he is owner of the site, his credit card is used, etc. They know the domain is mine, I did all the work, etc. I have his signature on the at-will-volunteer, form, he signed it that I can let any volunteer go. He is telling the IP company that he owns it and has the credit card to prove it! They blocked the site, and told me to get a lawyer, or work it out with him.

I don't want to talk to him and just want to change over to my bank credit card, and main my site. I sent him a email stating to let me know how to send him back his money he donated on the site when we volunteer for me.

Do I have rights because it's my name attached to the domain, or does he because he had it under his credit card?

Should I just start all over again with a new name, even though it took me forever to get this site up and running along with huge media attention I just got with big community companies and record labels. I created the logo. It's my website. What should I do? I don't have any money to pay for a lawyer and he emailed all my friends and said, just that. My site is taking off, I don't want to lose it! Help!

Signed

Don't trust a volunteer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2006, 10:31 PM
    You need an attorney, while your contract may state one thing, the fact he was paying for the site, it may have value in court.

So I would hire an attorney since this can end up in court unless you reach a settlement with him

Pesonal opinion anyway
    lgbtnation Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 05:38 AM
    But it's a volunteer status? And it was a donation? But okay. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Software ownership issue [ 4 Answers ]

Our company entered into a contract to develop software for the exclusive use of a client for a fixed fee of $ 300,000. The software is currently 80% completed, however our client has paid only $ 100,000 to date and is now filing for bankruptcy. Under the circumstances, we have offered to...

Ownership of the media [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me answer the following question: What is the direct and indirect ownership of the media? How might it be viewed as a threat to democracy? What do you think?

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

Car ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I helped a friend of our daughter purchase a car several months back. He is a minor. The agreement was that we would help him purchase the car, transfer the title directly to his Mother and she would pay the insurance premiums. Since that time his Mom has informed us that she no...

View more questions Search