Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bklyn761 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 06:59 AM
    How do I get rid of a smell from a room?
    I have a roommate who eats, breaths, lives in his bedroom. Well the room smells. I have had him, dust, use air freshener, open windows when its warm and the room still smells. He doesn't smell because he is used to it. Help, it is driving me nuts.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 07:08 AM

If the roommate leaves, hopefully the smell will follow. Negative Ion Generators/Ozonizers can help on smells, Febreeze is good, Roommate may be stronger than the Febreeze. Good Luck
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Mar 20, 2009, 01:27 PM

Perhaps you can try cleaning the carpet or floor with deodorizer and one of those shampo machines. I think you can rent one from home depot or Lowe's. Buy a plug-in freshner and plug it into the wall. Make him clean his sheets, laundry, and himself often. You can be his new mama. Lol
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Mar 20, 2009, 01:29 PM

Perhaps you can try cleaning the carpet or floor with deodorizer and one of those shampo machines. I think you can rent one from home depot or Lowe's. Buy a plug-in freshner and plug it into the wall. Make him clean his sheets, laundry, and himself often. You can be his new mama. Lol
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 01:37 PM

Febreeze is pretty good. It used to clear up the cigarette and pot smole form my flatmates.

Febreze Fabric Refreshers
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 01:48 PM

If you go the Febreeze route buy the antibacterial one... you don't know what's causing that smell!!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 01:42 PM

You have to find the source of the smell before it can be successfully treated.

There is the option of masking a smell which will be an on going task, the best thing to do is fined the offender and dispose of it.

Temporarily fabreeze or a cheaper brand will do a cover up job especially if you have visitors but long term you need to fine the source.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 01:46 PM

Agreed, if the source is something like mouldy food left in the room yeah... you have to find and remove that.

When I suggested febreeze I was thinking perhaps the source of the smell is in the fabrics in the room. Over time any soft maerial (sheets, couches) can hold onto odors and odor causing bacteria so you may need a non-bleach antibacterial spray safe for fabrics. Hence the idea of antibacterial febreeze.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 02:06 PM

If he can't smell it, he probably has little motivation to correct the problem. Ideally, he would go on vacation, away from the house for a couple of weeks. When he returns, his room will assault him.

If this is disrupting your life you could take up smoking... Ask him to move out. Find a roommate who smells more like you do. Shop for a new roommate by visiting their current home and room. That sounds extreme but can be very important for a smell person.

I totally understand, being a smell person myself. For a few years I worked in a candy store. Now, chocolate smells nice but after an hour or so at work, I couldn't smell it anymore. Your roommate needs to frequent other parts of the house and you need to spend some time in his room. See what I mean about getting a new roommate?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
    My brother stayed with us for a year. At the time he was drinking heavily, smoking, etc. His perspiration and dirty clothes made his room a hazmat area. Amazingly, my grandma gave me the solution -- SUNSHINE --! Laundering his clothes and setting the mattress out in the sun for 6 hours got all the odor out of the room(got to flip it over halfway through). Folk wisdom is called that because it works, I guess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in upstairs room [ 1 Answers ]

When ever either shower is used in upstairs bathrooms (they are side by side rooms), the bedroom next to one of the baths smells of sewer gas (septic tank).Also that area over the room in the attic smells of the gas.Below these bathrooms is the laundry room and the same results happens when the...

Smell in utility room [ 4 Answers ]

Over the last two months we have had a rotten smell coming out of our utility room. We know it is not our drier or our washing machine and there are no leaks around any of the connecting pipes. We have also checked the u-bend under the sink as well as the dishwasher outlet pipe and are mystified. A...

Cat-like smell from the powder room [ 1 Answers ]

We have found that after flushing our powder room toilet, a terrible cat-like smell eminates from this room. We had the wax seal of the toilet changed and the smell didn't go away. I have scoured the tile on the floors and walls with bleach and boiling water. I think every inch of that room has...

Laundry room smell. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, we are noticing a rotten egg smell consistently in our laundry room (also a full bath) that is on the lowest level of our house. It is the strongest just after a load of laundry. Can you help?

A strange smell in one room [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been bothered by a strange smell in one room in my house. I smelled it last summer and it went away during the winter. Now the whether is getting warm (80 degree outside) and I notice the smell again. Even in summer time, the smell does not always stay. Sometimes we smell it and...

View more questions Search