Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chadneedshelp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 02:39 AM
    Have internet connection but cannot surf the web or update
    Okay here is the problem I'm having troubles with my laptop that has a good internet connection but I cannot surf the internet or update my virus scan. Its funny because it works if I do a system restore back to the old setting but when I try to install Firefox or internet explorer it would not work. Could it be a virus or something else

Mar 20, 2009, 02:52 AM
    This all started after my norton expire and was uninstalled could that be a problem
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 11:29 PM

You should optimize your internet explorer.
    Delete the internet temporary files and unchecked the thirty software option from advance menu and put the high security alert and block the unwanted sites.
    These steps can start from control panel - Internet option - select the security option and advanced option.
    If internet work then install avg free anti virus from avg.com.
    Try to update your anti virus and scan your computer in the safe mode.
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Mar 26, 2009, 06:43 PM

If you see a sale for Norton AntiVirus with a rebate for previous owners, I would suggest getting it. By doing that, you should get it for free or close to it after the rebates.

In the meantime, you should certainly use an AV program. AVG is free and available from:

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Make sure you keep it up to date and run a virus scan once a week.

I would also suggest downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.34, another free program available from:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Verify that you are the administrator when installing new programs.

Mar 29, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Thanks for the relpy but I'm thinking I have a different problem. My computer is denied from updating anything saying that I have no internet connection which is weird because my IE works but programs such as my virusscan, limewire, and other programs won't work due to something block the connection, also whenever I install a new program for example Firefox my internet would magically stop working and I would have to system restore. Its really frustrating and need help thanks
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Mar 29, 2009, 04:53 PM

Since Internet Explorer is working, using that go to:

Free Virus Scan - Free Antivirus Software | Norton Security Scan

Click "Continue to Symantec Security Check", in the next window click No when asked if you want to close this window, that will bring you to a window where you should click Virus Detection.

Write down exactly anything it finds, then go to: : and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually. Make sure that you follow the instructions for removal, step by step, especially the part regarding disabling System Restore.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chadneedshelp View Post
    thanks for the relpy but im thinkin i have a different problem. my computer is denied from updating anything saying that i have no internet connection which is weird because my IE works but programs such as my virusscan, limewire, and other programs wont work due to something block the connection, also whenever i install a new program for example firefox my internet would magically stop working and i would have to system restore. its really frustrating and need help thanks
    It appears to me that you have something that ks blocking access to the Internet. Personal (software) firewalls will do this.

Make Sure Windows Firewall is properly set up. Disable it temporarily to ensure that it isn't causing any problems. Also, if you have any other "personal firewall" running (like Zone Alarm), disable that temporarily.

Also, since your Norton has expired, I suggest you uninstall it. After it's uninstalled, download CCleaner (CCleaner - Home) and install it. Run the cleaner and then run the "registry" cleaner several times -- until it finds no more problems. Delete everything it finds (you can save a backup if you're nervous).

Norton (Symantec) has a removal tool, http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039, that you can run. It's probably better than simply uninstalling Norton Antivirus. I recommend it.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 29, 2009, 09:35 PM
    You're having issues surfing the internet and downloading and installing and updating all those softwares previously suggested isn't going to help if you can't even get online.

Click Start, Run, type CMD, click OK.

At the command prompt, type the following commands and hit enter after each command:

Netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (press enter)

Netsh winsock reset all (press enter)

Netsh interface reset (press enter)

Ipconfig /flushdns (press enter)

Type Exit

Reboot

www.helljack6.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

How to update AVG antivirus Update to computer,which is not connect with internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Computer (No.A) is connected with internet. So I can get the update automatically. But, Computer (No.B, and No.C ) is not connect with internet. But we use the flash Drive and 3 1/2 Floppy disk. Without antivirus software, No.B & C can get the virus. Already having the antivirus software...

Avira antivir Update connection failed [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I can't able to connect update. Whenever I update that time shows update failed. How cani connect to avira antivir auto update. Pl help me.. here I post my report 03.01.2009 08:29:01 - Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\ 03.01.2009...

As a result of new Windows update (15 Dec) Internet exploder cannot find any website. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my Windows XP installed new updates to my PC yesterday (15 Dec 2007) during shut down. Once I opened my PC again Internet explorer cannot find any website. Skype is still working normally. How to fix the problem? Windows update doesn't work now because of that Internet Explorer malfunction.

Can't surf net because of active x [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When I'm trying to surf the internet I keep getting this message. Your current Security Settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. I have went into internet options and tried to change security level from medium to medium low and eanable all the things that say anything about...

View more questions Search