Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MadTXConsumer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 11:05 PM
    Daughter used my Corporate Credit Card
    I live in TX. My daughter went to an electronic store with my corporate credit card. (She is not authorized on this account) She selected a speaker and amplifier to be installed in my car. The merchant accepted my corporate travel card (it states my companies name and that it is a corporate credit card) with my name and ran the transaction. He did ask her who's card it is and she said that it was mine (her mothers) - he asked her for ID and she presented hers. He had her sign the slip and wrote my name next to hers. She signed with her own name. He never bothered to call verify the authorization on the account and charged $670 on my card.
    When I returned to town and discovered the purchase I immediately called him and explained that she was not authorized. He stated that he was aware that she was not the card holder but that it is my responsibility as a parent to prevent her from using my card. I requested for him to take his merchandise back and issue me a credit even offered him to deduct 20% re-stock fee. After all it was still less then 30 days from the date of the unauthorized purchase.
    He stated that his store has a no return policy but that I could file with my card company for a re-charge he then in return will file fraud charges against my daughter.
    I don't understand how he is able to get away with this? She did not miss represent herself she openly admitted that it was not her card. Provided her ID and signed her name - yet he still made the sale knowing he would not take the merchandise back and is threatening to send her to jail.
    :(
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 11:19 PM

I know nothing about fraud or credit cards. But I think in this case the guy from the speaker place is right... you need to learn how to control your child.

First off, many children have credit cards with there parents names because they are too young to have there own. Thus, they are accepted. (I used to go to the store with my parents credit card and buy gas or get perscriptions for them or myself.. not $500 worth of stuff but similar concept).

Second, how did your daughter get ahold of the credit card to begin with, unless you gave it to her or she stole it from you? (If you gave it to her, then this seems to be your fault).

I think you need to have a serious talk with your daughter about the value of a dollar. If you can't take the speakers back, sell them don't let your daughter keep them and try to get some of the money back you lost, then make your daughter work to pay back the rest of the money.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 07:05 AM

I agree with Gernald. You seem to think that the store should have "known better" whereas your daughter has no responsibility. From the store's perspective there are two possibilities:

1. There is no fraud on the part of your daughter, the merchandise was bought legally and their no-return policy applies, or

2. There was fraud, the merchandise was bought illegally, and you can pursue action against the person committing the fraud (your daughter).

I do suggest that you look into their no-return policy - in most states such policies must be prominently displayed in the store, and even if there are "no returns" many merchants allow you to return products in their original packaging within 10 days or so for store credit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2009, 07:21 AM

Did your daughter just purchase the items or were they actually installed? Once installed, its not uncommon to have a no returns policy.

You may not understand how he can get away with this, but the law can. The fact of the matter is, he applied due diligence in determining that she could use the card. The fact that she presented the card to use for the purchase was an implied statement on her part that she was authorized to use it. He exercized reasonable due diligence by questioning who's card it was and checking IDs to determine there was a relationship.

So the REAL culprit here is your daughter who took your card without permission and used it without permission. The store would be within their rights to file fraud charges if you try to rescind the transaction
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 07:58 AM

I worked for a card issuer and this is how they handled it.

If the card was stolen and used by an unknown person they would reverse the charge and start a fraud investigation.

If the card was used by an unauthorized immediate family member they will expect the account holder to honor the purchase unless the card holder is willing to file charges in their local jurisdicton for theft.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 21, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Sad as it may seem on your part now it is obvious your daughter is counting on you to do just as you are doing and let her skate on this behavior. You obviously the way you post was not in town Which means she went into your things (unless you gave her that card and than well that sorry makes it less theft and more sorry not so smart on your part)
    Unsure how old the daughter is but in any respect she needs to learn some responsibility and accountability and learn that things are just not going to always go her way.
    Honestly a long discussion on the taking and using of others things with no permission is a must
    Secondly you either swallow the cost and put her to work and make her work for free to pay it off. OR
    You do what I would do and file the theft charges and teach her a real lesson
    I can assure you she will never steal again
    I know I got caught as a kid shoplifting and after that little trip to jail to this day I have never touched anything in a store I was not paying for.
    Tough love sometimes is what young folks need.

In all honesty what kid( even a grown kid) thinks it is OK to buy a stereo for over 600 in the first place? It was not even put in her car? Or is it hers but in your name?
    Yikes
    The fact that she used it at all would have me peeved but the fact that she done this Knowing full well you would find out and basically snubbed her nose at you and felt that you were not important enough or she did not have enough respect for your things now that part would send me into left field.
    Whatever you do this kid obviously needs to be held accountable and given a lesson of respect however you do it.
    The store though sorry is not in the wrong as Scott stated once installed it is over.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 09:28 AM
    I agree completely with all the previous posters. In addition, there is the fact that the it's not even your card - it is a corporate card that you are authorized to use. How are you going to explain a stereo on your expense report? Hopefully your employer does not lose trust in you. That could be quite damaging to your career.

Your daughter was completely out of line. Her actions are criminal. The nature of the story implies that she is old enough to drive - which means she is definitely old enough to know better. If she doesn't find a way to straighten herself out soon, she is going to have a difficult life ahead of her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Corporate Credit Card liability to officer [ 2 Answers ]

Can a collections company working on behalf of credit card companies utilize "Quantum Meruit" in order to collect from officer of corporation, where no personal guarantee exists?

Personal liability for a corporate credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

We were shareholders in a TX corporation, which is out of business after having its assets surrendered to the bank holding an SBA loan. We are now getting telephone demands for personal repayment of the outstanding credit card debt, including calls at my new place of employment, claiming that we...

Problems in not paying a Corporate credit card and also a personal credit card [ 1 Answers ]

1. We are the main share holders in a "S" corp. The corporation is not longer doing business but have an outstanding credit card balance. We are making the mim payments but will not be able any longer. What can be done to us if we stop paying. 2. We also used a personal credit card for this...

View more questions Search