Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
    knetics and decomposition
    Hi all I'm studying for a test and got a stumped by this question and am not sure where to go, and I'm fairly certain it'll be on the test :eek: Anyway, whatever you can help me with would be great!

I'm looking at the decomposition of HI
    2HI (g) --> H2 (g) +I2 (g)
    It has a 2nd order rate law. At 700k the rate constant is 1.2x10^-3 L mol-1 s-1. If the initial concentration is [HI]0 = 0.56 mol L-1 what is [HI] after two hours.

Do I use claussius claperyon (am I even spelling that right?) ? And if I do, how do I plug it in?
    I feel like an idiot, I get the ones way harder than this in like 5 seconds :(
    Thanks again for any help!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 02:23 AM

I'm not sure how you could use Clausius-Clapeyron to describe kinetics. That's more of a chemical "phase" thing.

A second order rate law is one of the following

or

In this case, I would assume that it's the former, with [a] being the concentratino of [HI]. You are given the rate constant and the initial concentration.

The integrated form of the above rate law is:

I think you have everything to solve the equation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thermal Decomposition [ 1 Answers ]

What is word equation for the thermal decomposition of the following: a) zinc carbonate b) iron nitrate c) sodium nitrate d) silver nitrate :mad::confused::mad::confused:

Decomposition Rate with Formaldehyde [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing a story, and I needed a little forensic help. What would a corpse look like after ten years of burial in a coffin, average winters/summers/rain and etc (average being average for places that get around three to eight inches of snow every year. How much slower does a body pumped full...

How do we know it is a decomposition reaction? [ 1 Answers ]

Please explain your answer ;) thankz for your help Like I said: How do we know it is a decompositon reaction? :confused:

Decomposition [ 2 Answers ]

This gruesome question is research for a novel... can you tell me the chronology of decomposition of a newborn body shallowly buried in freezing/near freezing outdoor temperature? How long would the body remain intact for identification of a cause of death?

View more questions Search