Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    selenagillis246 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Bad teeth from unclean well water?
    Can you get bad teeth from unclean well water like gingivitis and tooth decaying, if there are any dentist or anyone can you pleease answer me asap
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:04 PM

I've never heard of this- if the well water was unclean, you would get sick waaay before it got to the point of damaging your teeth. What is your dental hygiene routine like? When is the last time you saw your dentist?
    selenagillis246 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Well let me rephrase that... well water in general
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 19, 2009, 05:55 PM

The answer is NO.

City water systems have fluoride added to the water. Well water, being a natural source, does not. I grew up on well water and have well water now, and have never in my life had a cavity, or gum-related illness. Our mother gave us fluoride tablets every morning along with our vitamins.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:56 PM

Well water doesn't isn't treated with fluoride like city water. The fluoride in city water helps prevent tooth decay. So if you use well water, you want to be sure to use toothpastes and rinses that contain fluoride.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 07:24 PM

Well water does not cause decay or gingivitis.
    Plaque and sugars cause decay and lack of brushing and flossing causes gingivitis. Sorry, but you can't blame it on the well water.
    Fluoride toothpastes and rinses will help but you need to brush and floss too.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 23, 2009, 08:34 AM
    As stated above me there are some things that cause tooth decay and gum disease. Well water is not in the list though.

If in fact you really have unhealthy well water you can in fact have your county test it Most counties will do this at no charge.
    Also you can boil it or let it sit in a open container as well.

In all honesty I have always wished I had well water as it is much better tasting and has none of the added things like city water.

My water (city) smells like pure chlorine and it horrible.

Good luck
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Mar 24, 2009, 11:04 PM

Growing up on well water without fluoride is (in my opinion) detrimental to your oral health. For adults, there should be no effect on your mouth unless it is grossly contaminated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pork: Unclean food? [ 25 Answers ]

Why is it Muslims don't eat pork?

Gap between teeth [ 11 Answers ]

What's the name of the dental procedure to close the gap between teeth?

Bad teeth [ 1 Answers ]

I am a teenage girl who has had bullimia for nearly 3 years. My teeth are so bad one has rotted and the other one has lost its filling. Im to scared to go to the dentist and now I have no dentist till August but I'm scared of this tooth rotting as well its near the front of my mouth and noticeable...

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Teeth [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 7 years old . Her front teeth has fallen out naturally at the age of 4 years, but the new teeth is not coming out still. Is there any problem with her teeth or should I wait for some more time.

View more questions Search