Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lonny076 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Connecting neutral wire to ground wire in breaker panel
    Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:15 PM

That connection has to only happen ONCE in the service drop. It usually happens at the first disconnect.

Any panel beyond that the neutral and ground must remain separate.

Ground rods are required for panels in detached structures.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lonny076 View Post
    Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?
    If you are asking if the neutral and ground can occupy the same termination the answer is no. Each neutral must be in it's own termination.
    jamesdavino Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 07:08 AM
    The neutral wires and the ground wires go to the same lugs in the panel,but not under the same lug ( there all connected to each other) unless your talking about a sub panel ( another panel that's fed off the main, like a detached garage panel) then they all must be segregated with no connection between them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Using the ground or (bare) wire for the neutral wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with some wiring that I ran for an outside motion light. Although the hot leg and ground wires are fine, the neutral wire is defective ( it may have gotten knicked or something). Of course, now the wiring is covered up behind a wall that I do not want to tear into if it can be...

Neutral wire used as a ground? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been changing switches and plugs and in one of the receptical boxes I found the neutral wire pigtailed to the side of the box, and when I installed the new receptical there was no circuit until I did the same, pigtailed to the box... is this safe?:confused:

Is it okay to use bare wire as neutral? Okay to share ground? [ 53 Answers ]

Our house was built in 2003 and it came with a GE 24" microwave oven that uses 120 volts/20 Amp. The microwave stops working so we went out and bought a KitchenAid convection microwave oven that requires 20 Amp, 240 volts, 60 Hertz. The old microwave oven uses 12/2 w/g romex from a subpanel. ...

View more questions Search