Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jumpyroo92 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Is it possible to make a fixed element scroll?
    On my monitor it looks like this: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket...
    On most monitors it looks like this: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket...

I can make it look like the second one on my monitor by making:
    #container1 {
    Position:fixed;left:400px;
    }
    But it doesn't scroll.
    If I make it relative, the container will cover the picture on the left on other monitors

The picture is the background, if there's another way to fix it it would be fine too

The scrolling doesn't work on IE either

I use Firefox

Also this is on a blog website, so only the css can be changed
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 07:34 PM

Hi,
    That blog site is done in nonstandard CSS with the Style tag just after the Body tag, the image with no border and not done with the Border shortcut, the image placed left and static, and almost everything critical to the rendering having "!important" attached to the value of the property.
    If you notice and load the page and have multiple browser windows open; switch to a different window and then back again. You should see the whole picture briefly flash before being partially covered. Built in tables the have the box structures overlapping. Absolutely no chance of validating and may not even tell you the number of errors. I had a site once that just shut the validator down, and I would about bet that this site will only give a "Cannnot be validated" message.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 13, 2009, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    That blog site is done in nonstandard CSS with the Style tag just after the Body tag, the image with no border and not done with the Border shortcut, the image placed left and static, and almost everything critical to the rendering having "!important" attached to the value of the property.
    If you notice and load the page and have multiple browser windows open; switch to a different window and then back again. You should see the whole picture briefly flash before being partially covered. Built in tables the have the box structures overlapping. Absolutely no chance of validating and may not even tell you the number of errors. I had a site once that just shut the validator down, and I would about bet that this site will only give a "Cannnot be validated" message.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    So because of the site, there is no way of fixing it?

Jun 13, 2009, 09:28 PM

Hi,
    I guess I am a bit mystified as to exactly what it is you would like to achieve. Of no help was the facy that those first two URLs yielded the same rendering; I opened side-by-side and saw the same thing in each and they scrolled the same.
    Perhaps a bit more explanation would clear it up,
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jun 13, 2009, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    I guess I am a bit mystified as to exactly what it is you would like to achieve. Of no help was the facy that those first two URLs yielded the exact same rendering; i opened side-by-side and saw the same thing in each and they scrolled the same.
    Perhaps a bit more explanation would clear it up,
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Well, actually, as you can see, I posted this topic 3 months ago, and I have done some correcting between that time and the present. So I'm not sure what it looks like on other monitors anymore...

I just wanted to know if it is possible to make the background and the main column fixed at a certain pixel to have it not look different on different monitors.

Jun 14, 2009, 05:10 AM

Hi,
    Yes I did notice the timespan. This particular forum moves a bit slow and I spend much of my time on Ask Me Helpdesk answering questions about lawn mowers on a busier forum. I answer questions on Qpost , also and CSS, and all that site can be a bit slow. If I happen to answer a query promptly, it is because my periodic visit coincided with the post.
    I believe you are asking about what is termed as "pixel-oerfect" construction. Generally done with a mixture of JavaScript and CSS in the foreground and PHP, Cold Fusion, etc. in the background. The PHP can be hidden from view by the use of CMFs/CMSs as Drupal, Django, Zope, Zoop, etc. I happen to mention those as I experimant with them as well as LAMPP and XAMPP.
    I have written HTML since 1995 and posted my first site the first week of July, 1996. I started "playing" with CSS in 1997 and one old site I made still exists. It will render in IE4 NN2.2, Opera3.5. None of my current maintained sites will.
    As a general rule the consensus seems to be that some values should be avoided if at all possible. Fixed generally used with background-attachment. The "!important" declaration is considered a kludge for overriding bad stylesheet construction which is mostly a poor use of the rules of specificity.
    Most of my personal sites are on freely available hosts and allow very limited CGI and no server-side access for databases and preprocessors, so they are necessarily static.
    A good site to look at is the internet.com/Earthweb/DevX site. It has some dropdown menus that do go off screen on some monitors, but it is one of the per-eminent web technology site run by Jupiter Media;
    internet.com - the Internet and IT Network from WebMediaBrands Inc.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

410 vs 22, reciprocating vs scroll [ 2 Answers ]

I live in South Florida and need to replace a Carrier heat pump. Don't know why I bought a heat pump 15 trs ago seeing as we run heat maybe 3 days a year. Anyway I will go with a straight cool w/ 10 KW heat strip now. I have a gable mounted package unit. I will probably go with local contractor who...

View more questions Search