Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4online Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 03:08 AM
    How to return paid taxes while being worked as J-1 international student
    Hello!
    I'm an international student from Ukraine and I was working as a J-1 student while participating Work&Travel Program in summer 2007 (State New Mexico) and summer 2008 (State California). In 2007 I paid only Federal and State income taxes and in 2008 on my second job I also paid CA SUI/SDI tax, which I was not supposed to pay, because I'm not a resident of CA State. In concerning with all this I have 3 questions:

1) How can I return paid Federal and State income taxes (what form to fill, where to take it, where then to send it, how much will the process cost, when I should expect the refunded money on my account etc.) I visited Internal Revenue Service but didn't find the answers - a lot of useful information but for those who already has an experience in tax returnig! I didn't even find any e'mail addresses where I could send my questions, because I'm not in the US already and can not call them to the office.

2) How can I return paid CA SUI/SDI tax, which I was not supposed to pay, because I'm not a resident of CA State.

3) I've heard that also we all can return 10% of paid during the year sales taxes if we keep the receipts! How to do it? Please if somebody knows - give detailed instructions!

Thanks in advance!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 05:30 AM

On J1 you are exempt from residency for 2-years. You must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes but you must pay federal and state income taxes.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Any income you earned while in CA is to be reported to CA. CA collects 0.6% SDI. You will not get the refund of this SDI.
    4online Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 05:25 PM

I've heard that also we all can return 10% of paid during the year sales taxes if we keep the receipts! How to do it? Please if somebody knows - give detailed instructions!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 05:02 AM

In the U.S. you do not get sales tax refunded to nonresidents.

On your tax return, as itemized deduction, you can claim state income tax or sales tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 07:20 AM
    Non-resident aliens CANNOT claim the sales tax as a deduction. Only state and local INCOME taxes can be claimed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

International student -- which state do I pay taxes to? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an international student in Illinois. I've earned income in both Illinois and Tennessee, where I did a summer internship last year. Do I have to pay taxes on the income I earned in Tennessee to Illinois?

State return PA and/or IN Student taxes [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I am a resident of PA attending school full time in IN. I worked the summer in PA and during the school year in IN. I have two w-2's, PA and IN. I know there is some kind of agreement between the states but I don't know exactly what it is. I have filed my federal return, but I need help...

Taxes for F1 student worked in CPT & OPT [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian student worked full time during CPT(Curricular Practical Training) and OPT for almost an year. I worked as an independent contractor for the entire time. I made around $97,000 which is now reported on the 1099-misc form. I will be filing 1040NR and Schedule C. I have also incurred...

International student taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am currently working for a firm as part of my optional practical training, and work between 20-30 hours a week. I am being paid on the books, and am required to file my own taxes. Which form do I use? When do I file? Also, the company keeps sending me a W-9 Form which states specifically that...

View more questions Search