Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramish Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 03:00 AM
    FTP Connection
    I am not able to find a good solution on how to create an FTP connection between two computers. One of the computers is located in one City and the other is in the other city (WAN), but using Internet connection from the same ISP.

I do not have an FTP server, nor I have any FTP facility within my network. I was wondering if there is any temporary or permament solution where I can share files between these two computers in GBs.

Please advice
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 19, 2009, 03:21 AM
    Hello Ramish

I will follow this question with interest, because of similar problems.
    A general Internet FTP connection is easy. But how to do that within a (remote) network?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 13, 2009, 08:24 AM
    FTP is a client-server application consisting of both FTP client software and FTP server software. Typically, one computer, the server, is the repository of the files and one or more computers connect to it as clients in order to transmit files to/from the server. Both computers can also have both the server and client software installed although usually the server computer has security and reliability considerations beyond that of the client computer that dictate a difference in the hardware platform and implementation chosen for each machine.

Filezilla server and client is a free and open source FTP solution that may be of interest. Filezilla also supports FTPS and SFTP for secure transfers. Many modern operating systems include a basic FTP client. For Windows, type "ftp" at a command prompt.

You say you can't find a good solution? What's the actual problem, apart from obtaining the bandwidth needed to transfer GBs of files?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 08:53 AM

I'll attack this on two fronts:

One sFTP is secure FTP. FTP passes passwords in cleartext. This is not recommended across the internet.

Ssh is a replacement.

FTP requres the PASSIVE mode be used and you need to open a variety of ports. On the receiving end you need to port forward a few ports.

Ssh only requres one port and it's much easier to set up on both ends.

SMB or Windows filesharing is also insecure, so it's not good to open those ports too.

Thus it's best to dedicate a computer possibly as a DMZ with it's own firewall for all filsharing activities. You could protect this with a firewall appliance.

VPN is a way to go to connect two networks securely. You will generally need a VPN router to do so. Now you can use SMB or Windows Filesharing Securely.

I set up and ssh server using Cygwin, but it's not an easy task for anyone not knowing anything about a Linux/Unix varients.

You'll also need a dyndns (see www.dyydns.org) client which can run on a router or a machine, so that the other end can find the public IP address of the shared file.

If the public IP address is static, then the above paragraph can be ignored. The IP address is what is obtained from http://whatismyip.com

May 13, 2009, 09:48 PM
    Hello All,

Thanks for the nice and useful feedbacks, but what I want is still not resolved!

I have a computer (Personal Computer) and I want the second party who also uses a personal computer to receive some files that I will put for him online through FTP solution by sending him a link.

I have FilZella installed (Client Version), but I don't know how it works exactly.

Any idea on how to easily share files (GBs)

CHEERS,
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 14, 2009, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramish View Post
    ...but what I want is still not resolved!!
    It is possible to setup Filezilla server and client to work as you desire, or any other FTP product, however you will have to put in the time to read and understand its documentation so you know how to configure and use it as well as deal with any firewall or networking issues that might inhibit connectivity between the two computers. This forum cannot provide step by step advice for everyone's specific scenario or else we'd do nothing but train people. This, for me at least, is a hobby or secondary pursuit. The best we can do is point you in a general direction toward achieving your goal and then you either have to gain the expertise yourself or hire it locally to implement a solution.

One of the online storage services such as ADrive may be a better option as there is less to configure and manage and customer support is provided in the event difficulties are encountered.
    WebsiteSolution Posts: 85, Reputation: 10

May 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Try using sendthisfile.com. It provides a free and paid FTP service. Bascially, when you upload a file, it sends an email to the person with a link so they can download the file. Is this what you are looking for?

May 16, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Ya, and thanks a lot. I believe it will work and I was looking for sth like that.

CHEERS,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dsl connection [ 1 Answers ]

How to set dsl connection on nx 5000 laptop thank,s:) :)

Connection with God [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A 70-year-old man goes to the doctor's for a physical. The doctor runs some tests and says to the man, "Well, everything seems to be in top condition physically, but what about mentally? How is your connection with...

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

USB connection? [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me how to install USB connection in my computer (which is rather old). Thanks:confused:

New LAN connection [ 3 Answers ]

How would i be able to create a lan between my desktop and laptop, Please anybody help me Too urgent.

View more questions Search