Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skitycat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 02:38 AM
    Friend & I signed a lease, paid rent & deposit, now I am not moving in
    My Niece and her "friend" signed a lease to rent this home together, my niece can not move in due to her roommate has invited her boyfriend and another man to live with them. Both men are not on the lease, nor do they have a job and are refusing to leave. My Niece moved all her belongings in and the first night there her "friends" boyfriend slammed her against the wall and refuses to leave.

I feel we should go calmly discuss the situation to the landlord and request the her name be removed and our main question is, is the landlord obligated to refund the 650.00 my niece paid for rent and part of the deposit.

I'm not sure of the lease agreement, whether it is a "non-refundable" deposit or what the contract states as my niece is only 19 and not very mature when it came to entering into this house sharing contract with her now "ex friend" and what law is here in Oregon in such a situation.

I feel that if we approach the landlord in a respectful manner and inform her of the violations to the lease with these 2 extra roomies that are not on the lease the very day they moved in and how she had to move out one day later, I believe (at least I hope the landlord will do the right thing or at least be bound by the laws in Oregon to take some action...

What is her legal right in a situation such as this?

Thanks for your input we need to resolve this 2-morrow... :confused::confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:52 AM

Hello skitty:

Immature or not, she's an adult and will be held to account like any other adult.

I think a frank discussion with the landlord is in order, but I don't think he's going to comply with your wishes.

Right now he has TWO people he can go after if he's owed money. Why would he reduce it by half?

In terms of her deposit and her rent, she's not going to get her rent back because the landlord didn't do anything wrong, and she MIGHT get her deposit back at the end of the lease IF the apartment is left in the condition it was in when they moved in.

But, you KNOW that's not going to happen.

Hopefully, the "friend" will pay your niece's part of the rent from now on... But, you KNOW that ain't going to happen either.

In your meeting with the landlord, ask him to evict her. Maybe moving people in is a breach of the lease.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skitycat View Post
    i believe (at least i hope the landlord will do the right thing or at least be bound by the laws in oregon to take some action.....

What is her legal right in a situation such as this?
    You aren't hoping the landlord will do the "right" thing, but the FAIR thing. At least fair from your prospective.

As far as what your niece's legal rights are, read the lease, it spells them out.

Without reading the lease, your niece is probably stuck. She signed a lease and committed to occupy and pay rent for the unit for the term of the lease. Since both she and the roommate signed the lease jointly, they are each responsible for the rent. Depending on how the lease was worded, each could be responsible for all or only half the rent.

Your niece can't just move out, she committed to the lease. The landlord has no obligation to return the rent, and only an obligation to return the security at the end of the lease term.

The really fair thing to do, would be for the roommate, who created this situation, to ask the landlord if he will change the lease, replacing your niece with her boyfriend and/or the other person. Then have the boyfriend reimburse your niece for what she laid out.

When the boyfriend attacked your niece she should have called the police. She might have a case against the roommate for violating their understanding of just the two of them sharing the unit, but that would mean going to court.

I think the best your niece can hope for is that the roomie continues to pay the full rent and then maybe she gets her deposit back at the end of the lease. She can hope that the landlord is a very nice person and just lets her out, but I don't hold much hope for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Paid deposit +1month rent [ 3 Answers ]

If we have signed a contract for a property to be let to us through an estate agent and we have paid a deposit and 1months rent in advance and a copy of the contract has been sent to the landlord although we do not know if they have signed it, can the landlord pull out with no valid reason? And do...

Tenant Signed Lease Without Giving Deposit or Rent Monies [ 2 Answers ]

Tenant and landlord have signed a lease for a residential home in California. No money has yet to be exchanged. Tenant has not moved in to the home. Is the lease still binding?

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Security Deposit & Pre-Paid Rent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone: I am new to this site & need some advice & thought this would be a great avenue. Here is my dilemma: I had been renting a condo in PA (I live in TX) for almost a year. Since I have not been able to use the unit since March, I was looking to sub-let it. I informed the owner,...

View more questions Search