Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrazzle08 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Employee rights on vacation pay already earned
    If an employee earns vacation under the existing policy but has not taken it yet or lost it and the company changes their policy on vacation and this employee becomes no longer eligible for vacation, does he lose the vacation he had already earned before the policy changed? :confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:29 AM

Hello l:

No. But, that doesn't mean they won't try to take it away.

The problem you're going to have, is that if you demand your vacation pay, you'll get it, and then they'll fire you.

excon

Mar 19, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Thanks, I didn't think they could but how can they fire him with no reason, then they will have to pay unemployement, which I know they don't want to do
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 07:32 AM

Hello again, l:

Unless he's a member of a union, has an employment contract, or is a member of a protected class of workers, they don't need a reason to fire him.

That doesn't mean they WILL. But, if he gets into a stink over his vacation pay, that's not going make his bosses happy.

So, instead of this being a hypothetical question, are they doing that to somebody you know? If so, tell me the DETAILS, and I'll tell you the best way for him to get paid and, hopefully, NOT lose his job.

They're certainly NOT going to stop because you had some exconvict that you found online, tell you they can't.

excon

Mar 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Well, its my husband. He has worked as a cook in this restaurant for almost three years, he as earned two weeks vacation that he has not taken yet before they changed the policy. At the beginning of the year they changed their policy on who was eligible for vacation ( you have to work there for 5 or more years now before you can earn vacation). They told him he just lost his vacation that he had earned, which we were furious and also did not think was legal. We wanted to make sure that it wasn't legal before pursuing the matter. I know that they do not have to have a reason to fire him however if they fire him for no reason I know that he would be eligible for unemployment which I also know they would not want to pay. One of the reasons they cut vacations was to save money which is why I know that they would not want to pay for his unemployment but would have to, so what should we do
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 03:07 PM

Hello again, l:

If he's already had conversations that didn't work out too well, the next step he should take is compose a letter to his boss.

In his letter he should mention that he EARNED his vacation, and it wasn't a gift. Plus, he did NOTHING to lose it. The only thing that changed is the policy. Tell the boss further, that as much as he regrets having to take such action, he WILL seek his rights in court. Make it a straightforward polite letter that sets out the facts and nothing more.

Send his letter certified, return receipt requested. Send another by regular mail and then hand deliver a copy to the office.

Once they see that he's serious, hopefully they'll relent. But, maybe not. Who knows?

excon

Mar 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Thanks, wish us luck
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 03:22 PM

You stated that the restaurant changed their policy to save money. If he keeps whining that he didn't get a vacation, I'm sure they will give him one... and tell him not to come back after his vacation is over. Also, the employer does not have to pay unemployment if the person is fired. Fired for what? For anything and nothing. You didn't state which state you are in so if it was a state where you don't need a reason to be fired, then you cannot collect unemployment. Sure you can apply for it but will probably be turned down and then wait weeks and weeks for an appeal and then be turned down at the appeal. And during this time there will be no income coming in the house from your husband.

Which is more important right now to you and him? A job or a paid vacation. Think this one over very carefully as his immediate financial status is at stake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation & Rights of an employee [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was terminated from a job after I filed a complaint to HR regarding my supervisors actions. After giving birth to my son and a year of followed ups & downs including a divorce, I suffered from complicated migraines, anxiety attacks and a mild case of depression. Through this time and to...

Employee rights? [ 8 Answers ]

In the state of arizona.... Is it legal for an employer to ask you to sign a document saying that you will never call in sick again or it is automatic termination or the other option is to resign from the company with pension? I know arizona is a right to work state but is this legal???:confused:

My rights as a salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee. I work at least 40 hours per week and most weeks 50-55 hours per week. I work from 6 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. some Saturdays 7 a.m.- Noon, and some evenings delivering fuel. I was told I would get one week paid vacation after 0ne year of service and two weeks paid vacation after...

Vacation Home Rental Rights to the rentor [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a vacation house for 6 days in southern Florida this past Feb. When we got to the house on a Friday, major road construction was occurring directly outside the house. HUGE equipment was stored there over the weekend and it started right back up on Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday a man...

Employee rights, do we have them? [ 4 Answers ]

In Florida when a person leaves a job and the boss takes money out of your check for no reason, what can a person do??

View more questions Search