Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbrow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 10:47 PM
    Cedar siding painting
    I need to know that the cedar siding should be primed and painted before installation on both sides or primed and painted after installation just on exterior side ( only one side that is exposed to weather). Thanks
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 3, 2006, 06:28 PM
    You should prime all sides of the siding panels even any cut ends during installation. After the sidng is installed you can then have it painted the desired color.
    If you decide to stain the siding, again, stain all sides and the cut ends.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Don't paint it, stain it! Let the natural wood grain show through. Use a transparent stain of good quaility and high solids such as Cabots. Stain the cut ends prior to installation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cedar Siding installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing 18" Cedar siding boards. My problem is installing them around a bay extension where the angles are 22 degrees. No matter how precise I cut those joints, they look awful. I waste more material than needed and I cannot make the joints look neat. I have had to resort to using...

Hardie Plank Siding Painting questions [ 1 Answers ]

Well, we finally have our house and addition all sided. We used Hardi plank siding that came pre-primed. The installer suggested using a sherwin williams paint that was supposed to be almost a liquid vinyl. I went to the SW site and I couldn't find it. I did receive a flyer the other day...

Cedar Deck Killing Lawn? [ 3 Answers ]

My sod has been in 4 years and has looked great. Now on the southeast side of the house near my cedar deck it is dying. It is slightly sloped there. Neighbors tell me that is common from the runoff of decks. Is that true? Will it come back with a lot of water?

How to Prep & Paint Cedar Shakes [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into our house last summer and need to paint it this year. It has cedar shakes which are in very good shape. Lots of peeling on everything other than the shakes though. Can anyone offer advice on how to prep and paint cedar shakes? For example, do I need to scrape, prime, then...

Sierra white cedar fence [ 2 Answers ]

I recently installed a new gate and front fence, using pressure treated lumber and white cedar, dog eared planks. Anyone have any advice on preserving the fence ? Can I stain it?. What are some of my options.. Thanks in advance.. SWA

View more questions Search