Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbowe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Death of employee's loved on
    Here is my question.

Is it common practice for HR to notify employees of the death of a fellow employee's loved one?

I ask this because where I work, a fellow employee's 16 year old son died 4 days ago. Nothing was said to us by HR or this woman's boss. People are very upset by the silence of this information. They all work very closely with her and feel they should have been told. Instead they found out through word of mouth 2 days after it happened as did I. If it was her wish that no one be told that would be one thing, however HR has not received that request from her. Shouldn't we be told so that we can offer cards and support? Please let me know what the common practice is in a case like this. Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 12:36 PM

I would say it is best left up to the family who is told and is who is not. There is no reason for the employees to feel left out. It is a personal choice. After the employees are informed (through the newspaper obit, or someone else) they can then offer their condolences in a timely manner.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2009, 12:38 PM

No company is required or responsible for giving such notice. Some companies have "sunshine" clubs that handle such annoucements, like births, weddings, birthdays and deaths. Unless such a function exists in the company I would not expect the company to make such an announcement.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2009, 02:51 PM

Unfortunately most companies don't offer this type of information. If the employee wishes this known, they would inform their friends at the company. Usually though, this is information that comes through the company grapevine.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 09:27 AM

Half of the people in the World would post that this information was given out and they wanted to sue the employer; the other half are upset that the information was not given out.

When my husband died I advised his friends at work and left it up to them to make any announcements. I did not ask the company to do it.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
    I realize you are upset because you were late in hearing the news, but please remember that it is never too late to express your condolences. Please don't feel like you missed the window of opportunity to send a card or flowers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contacting Loved Ones After Death: Is It Possible and How [ 34 Answers ]

I am usually very perceptive when it comes to dreams and dream interpretation. All of my dreams are in color and very vivid. Many years ago a woman I was very close to died. I dreamed about her, she had been in the hospital very sick with a lot of tubes, etc. One night I dreamed she was sitting in...

Withholding from my Employee's paycheck [ 1 Answers ]

How do I determine how much to withhold from an employee's paycheck? And as far as state taxes go, do I go by the state where my employee resides and works for me or the state in which my business is incorporated? Thanks.

Salaried employee's pay docked [ 1 Answers ]

In Alabama can an employee be docked for missing a day of work if they are classified as salaried and their time is billed out for the company benefit? And I am told I cannot be paid overtime!

Death of a loved one - no will [ 5 Answers ]

My grandma has just died and did not have a will. Her daughter had the forms that she used to ask my grandma to sign to get money out of her account. She has given the bank the death certificate and we need to know what happens next?

Cost of Employee's [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what factors goes into calculating the cost of employees. I know there are taxes, but how do I figure the overhead such as my G/L and W/C?

View more questions Search