Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krysta217 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 09:56 AM
    What does the Trial-Default Prove-Up mean?
    My friend's wife filed for divorce, and he didn't get the papers to the courthouse in time. She filed for default on February 4th. The court hearing is today, on the website it says "Trial-Default Prove-Up". What does that mean, and how much longer does he have until the divorce is finalized? :confused:

There are no contests to the divorce by either party.

Mar 18, 2009, 09:58 AM

He is in Oregon due to the military, the wife is in California with her family.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 05:14 PM

A default prove up hearing is an uncontested trial in a case in which a default has been entered due to the Respondent/Defendant having failed to make a general appearance in the case. It's the way (but not always required) that the court takes evidence in a case to enter a judgment. In California, even in a default, the court still must divide community property equally and allocate community debt equally (there are some exceptions to the debt allocation rule) but the defaulting party is uninvolved. The default prove up is like a mini trial.

But, hold the phone, having said all of that, how was a default entered if he (husband) is in the military? That's not suppose to happen unless he was appointed counsel.

Mar 25, 2009, 06:27 PM
    He's in the coast guard. I never knew it made a difference, and he wasn't contesting to anything in the papers so didn't think it mattered. He recently got the "Entry of Judgement" form. Does this mean its final?
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krysta217 View Post
    He's in the coast guard. I never knew it made a difference, and he wasn't contesting to anything in the papers so didn't think it mattered. He recently got the "Entry of Judgement" form. Does this mean its final?
    Whenever you submit a judgment to the court to be processed you have to include a form entitled, "Notice of Entry of Judgment" , with a least two copies, and with it two envelopes with postage, one addressed to one party and the other to the other party. Once the court enters the judgment, the clerk mails the notices out and on them a date is entered indicating the date the judgment was entered.

So yes, if he received this in the mail the judgment must have been entered. Since he's in the Coast Guard, I assume that he either filed an Appearance, Stipulations and Waivers form or that it went by default and he was either appointed an attorney or the other side misrepresented his status in the military (a big NO, NO).

Mar 25, 2009, 10:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    Since he's in the Coast Guard, I assume that he either filed an Appearance, Stipulations and Waivers form or that it went by default and he was either appointed an attorney or the other side misrepresented his status in the military (a big NO, NO).
    The papers were filed completely by the wife, in this case. I don't think the courthouse is aware of his military status, he has no attorney as he wasn't contesting to the divorce.
    At this point, he doesn't want to hold up the divorce - everything is almost done.
    The "waiting period" for California, is that from the date the respondent is served the divorce papers, or from the date the judgement is entered?
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krysta217 View Post
    The papers were filed completely by the wife, in this case. I don't think the courthouse is aware of his military status, he has no attorney as he wasn't contesting to the divorce.
    At this point, he doesn't want to hold up the divorce - everything is almost done.
    The "waiting period" for California, is that from the date the respondent is served the divorce papers, or from the date the judgement is entered?
    The waiting period (that applies to termination of marital status only) is 6 months from the earlier of either date of service or the date a response is filed. In this case since there was no response filed, it's from the date of service (in Sacramento County they say it's 6 months and one day-- I don't know why they do it like that there when the code just says 6 months).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trial Balance & Post Close Trial Balance [ 5 Answers ]

I’m struggling with both trial balance and post close trial balance. From my understanding the post trial balance should include all items that would show on the balance sheet right? It would show total assets and total liabilities right? The assets and expenses would be under debit and...

Journal Entries, Adjusting Entries, and Trial and Adjusted Trial Balance [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this? I'm confused on how to post these and how to prepare the Adjusted Trial Balance. Window Washing Company opened on July 1, 2010. During July the following transactions were completed. July 1 Issued 14,456 shares of common stock for $14,456 cash. July...

Default Judgement Trial [ 4 Answers ]

I actullay have a few questions concerning a default judgement trial. I was served with papers saying a judgement was being sought and it is a couple of states away from where I live. It said if I did not appear a judgement would be issued against me. However I received a thing in the mail from the...

Rights to a speedy trial and can they keep your legally obtained money until the trial? [ 5 Answers ]

15 months ago the APD(Albany Police Department in Oregon) served a search warrant at our home. We had just gotten a settlement from a major motorcycle wreck my other half was in and had cash in our home. We have documents to prove we had just gotten this money 6 days prior to the search warrant....

View more questions Search