Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drtar1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Toilet bubbling
    I Just purchased a 55 year old house. The upstairs toilet bowl was empty for some reason but the tank was full. This toilet was disgusting so I replaced it. I have noticed that when I flush this new toilet on the upper floor a large air bubble comes out of the toilet bowl in the toilet in the bathroom right below that one. I'm thinking blocked vent line. What do you think?

Thank you in advance,
    Todd
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Hi Todd,

I'm thinking you're right. What's happening is then you discharge the upstairs toilet it pushed a bubble if gas down the stack and it came up in the downstairs toilet. This would not be happening if the upstairs toilet was allowed to vent itself. Your vent's indeed blocked. A little more information. Flushing the downstairs toilet will produces a vacuum since theonly air it can pull is trapped in the vent because it's blocked. The vacuum will seek to vent through the upstairs traps and toilet bowl and pull water (the trap seals) out. Clear the vent and you'll be OK Regards, Tom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flush causes bubbling noise in tub [ 12 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, I hear bubbling in the tub drain. No water comes up the tub drain, but I hear bubbling. WHAT IS THIS?? Could this predict a future backup or something? ;)

Bubbling toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We have a super capacity washing machine and when it goes through the spin cycle the toilet bubbles in. When the cyle is finished the water level is lower than when the wash started. The first flush after the wash is finished is slow, is then it goes back to working great. Any...

Bubbling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a two story apartment. I noticed that when the people above flush their toilet, I can hear the water run down and my toilet bubbles up. This sometimes throws out a little bit of water. The apartment complex has had plumbers come out twice, but I still have the same problem. Any...

Bubbling from toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single story slab home. Washing machine in attached garage. Two bathrooms with the toilets backed up to each other on the same wall. Also city sewer. I notice every 3-6 months, I'll notice 2 problems, not necessarily at the same time. 1.) I'll wake up and notice that my bathtub is...

Bubbling Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. For the past couple of months, we've noticed that when we flush the toilet upstairs, water bubbles up in the toilet in the basement. In fact, it is so explosive sometimes that water hits the closed lid. The home was built in the 60s and the basement toilet was added in the 70s. This problem...

View more questions Search