Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vermilion Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Redoing a HEAVELY painted brick firplace.
    I'm remodeling our front room, and dining room. And one of the biggest projects is going to do the fireplace. It has MEANY THICK lairs of paint, that as I have read, and tryout a few things, this is going to be... Umm... fun!! (NOT) But My first path was Tiling. But I have NEVER done tile before. I'm not intimidated by doing it, I just tend to over think the project at hand, and I'm running short on time. I am open to any alternatives to cover this mess! I welcome any, and all answers, My wife leaves on Fri. and I have to get this done QUICK! (still have 2 rooms of walls to finish to!) any help would be GREAT!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 05:31 PM

I would like to help but you post seems to be all over the place as to what the clear question.

Are you tiling the fireplace? Is so wonder/cement board tap-coned on the face and tile over that.

Just shooting in the dark here.

Pleas get back about the actual area of your project, and to many rooms in the question.

Tiling what.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Mar 19, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Sorry about that. I am Tialing a fire place to cover the painted brick fire place. It's 76in longx 48 in tall. I have never tiled anything before. We are going to put up a mantel, a surround kit, and a Pilaster kit from Lowe's. Sorry for my babbling on the last post. Any help would be GREAT!!

Vermy
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 04:59 PM

Fist plan on how you are going to attach the mantel either over the new hard board or after the tiling is done. Not exactly knowing what the kit requires on install. Either or glue and tap con a 1/2" hard board/cement board backer. Now you have a perfect solid sub straight to apply tile over. Set tile on cement board.

Signed 21 Boat

Mar 24, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Fist plan on how you are going to attach the mantel either over the new hard board or after the tiling is done. Not exactly knowing what the kit requires on install. Either or glue and tap con a 1/2" hard board/cement board backer. Now you have a perfect solid sub straight to apply tile over. Set tile on cement board.

Signed 21 Boat

How do I rate your answer?
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 02:28 PM

Just click on the orange "Rate this Answer" beside the "quote user" and look for the agree or disagree and type in your comments if you wish. If you run into a snag on your project or have anymore questions post back so we can help.
    Hope it goes well.
    Handyman4U Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2009, 09:51 AM

Tiling is the way to go, but you can get stone 4" high and 22" long that looks like real stone that set on top of each other but you have to cut it with a diamond blade. I use 4" on a grinder for my cuts. Use thinset to glue it to the fireplace but you still need to get rid of the paint, so cement backer board would work well.
    I would put mantle on first after the board.

I could show picture of a new fireplace I did with the stone. It looks great and it comes in different colors.

Any questions just ask.
    Gerry
    Attached Images

vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 25, 2009, 12:00 PM

Quick side note: If removing the paint, keep in mind that the old layers of paint are likely to be lead-based. Protect yourself accordingly. Have fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to apply sheetrock and tile to painted brick fireplace [ 9 Answers ]

Q: OK I just moved into a new home and it has a 12' fireplace in the living room. It has two brick columns running on either side all the way up with brick in between, and its all painted. What I am wanting to do is cover the upper 2/3 of the wall with sheetrock and make it the same depth all the...

Painting over already painted brick wall. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a large brick wall that has a fireplace on it that was already painted a dark grey when my husband and I moved into our home, we would like to repaint it to look like an orignal brick wall. And we are not sure how to do this. Would welcome any answers you have. Thank you Diane Smith

Adheering brick veneer to interior painted masonry wall [ 3 Answers ]

I live in 1937 era Washington DC Rowhouse and I've been considering installing the bring veneer on my longest interior wall. The wall in question is masonry(painted). I have seen the instructions for a few of the brick veneer companies and they mention using a lathing system or using mortar in the...

View more questions Search