Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjih_86 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Do I pass the Substantial presence test.
    I am still trying to determine whether I pass the SPT.

I worked and paid taxes in Australia until April 2008, all property, family, bank accounts still remain in Australia. Do any of the conditions under "Conditions for a Closer Connection to a Foreign Country" apply? :

Conditions for a Closer Connection to a Foreign Country

My presence record for the past there years would be as follows - does my time here as a 'tourist/visitor' on the Visa Waiver Program' count under the SPT?

2008 VWP visitor, E-3 Non-immigrant work visa

Depart LAX Jan 05
    Arrive Honolulu on VWP: April 18 (Day 109)
    Depart USA for Canada (to obtain E-3 visa): July 9 (Day 191)
    Arrive USA on E3 visa: July 17 ( Day 199)
    Commence work: September 9 (Day 253)

(366-109)-(199-191) +5 = 254 days (Total presence in 2008 = 5 days in January, under visitor visa from April and work visa from July)

366-199= 167 days (with work visa)

2007 VWP visitor

Arrive JFK Jan 05, Depart JFK Feb 01 (26 days)
    Arrive LAX December 13 - through year end: (18 days)

2006 VWP visitor

Arrive LAX Jun 18, Depart RDU Aug 26 (68 days)
    Arrive LAX December 13 - through year end: (18 days)

Also, can I claim deductions on interest accrued in 2008 on government student loans in another country?

I would be grateful if someone could offer me some advice. I can't even work out which form to use.

Many thanks:)

Mar 17, 2009, 12:43 PM

Amendment:

2006 VWP visitor

Depart ORD: Jan 2 2006 (2 days)
    Arrive LAX Jun 18, Depart RDU Aug 26 (68 days)
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 07:27 PM

Your time in the U.S. as a 'tourist/visitor' on the Visa Waiver Program does count under the SPT. Without claiming any treaty benefits, you would be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire year. You can likely claim under the U.S.-Australia Income Tax Treaty that you should not be treated as a U.S. resident until to arrive in the U.S. in April. If you were not working for the first few months of the year, it may not create any benefit to claim relief under the treaty.

Mar 18, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntlTax View Post
    Your time in the U.S. as a 'tourist/visitor' on the Visa Waiver Program does count under the SPT. Without claiming any treaty benefits, you would be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire year. You can likely claim under the U.S.-Australia Income Tax Treaty that you should not be treated as a U.S. resident until to arrive in the U.S. in April. If you were not working for the first few months of the year, it may not create any benefit to claim relief under the treaty.
    I filed my AUS tax return last July and have had no Australian tax liabilities since. So I doubt the treaty is of any use to me.

So it seems that I must file as a non-immigrant resident.
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 06:57 AM

I worked and paid taxes in Australia until April 2008
    I worked and paid taxes in Australia until April 2008, then you could claim that you were Australian resident until that time. If you file as a U.S. tax resident for the entire year, you will need to include the Australian income on your U.S. tax return and you can claim foreign tax credits to avoid double taxation. See Form 1116.

Mar 18, 2009, 07:25 AM
    I worked and paid taxes in Australia until April 2008, then you could claim that you were Australian resident until that time. If you file as a U.S. tax resident for the entire year, you will need to include the Australian income on your U.S. tax return and you can claim foreign tax credits to avoid double taxation. See Form 1116.
    Sounds like filing as a Dual status alien is easier. I keep reading that DSA's are not eligible for certain deductions and I've also read that I am not eligible for the standard deduction.

What can I claim?
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 07:35 AM

You can claim an exemption as well as state income taxes.

Mar 18, 2009, 07:40 AM
    You can claim an exemption as well as state income taxes.
    Could you please clarify what you are referring to when you mean I can claim an 'exemption'? An exemption from what? And what are the implications of this?

Many thanks!
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 07:42 AM

A personal exemption (a deduction) of $3,500 for a single individual for 2008.

Mar 18, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Awesome. Now I am good to go - with about 6 forms to fill. Ugh
    Thanks for all your help.

Mar 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
    http://www.business.uconn.edu/accoun...0nrez_2005.pdf

The instructions for the 1040nr state that those filing as dual status are not eligible for the standard deduction. (page 3)

Is this the personal exemption you speak of?
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 05:08 PM

Personal exemptions are different that standard deductions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Substantial Presence Test - Days of presence under B1 status with no taxes filed . [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, If I take into account my stay in the US on B1 (business/visitor visa) status then I feel I qualify for being a Resident. However, I did not file any taxes before (I was specifically asked by my employer not to). Now I'm on H1B (since July 2007) and have filed through TaxAct online...

Substantial Presence Test [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Experts, My situation: Citizen: Indian Arrived in the USA: Aug. 4th 2003-------F1 visa OPT from June 5th 2005 to May 25th 2006 Obtained my H-1B on May 25th 2006. Since I have been on H1B from May 25th 2006, don't I satisfy the SPT? I believe I have to be in the USA for >183 days. I...

Substantial Presence Test [ 8 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I've been browsing through this forum and have found your responses quite informative. Considering April 17th is the deadline I have a question at the 11th hour. :o I came to US on H1B in Oct 10th 2004, for the first time. I was here till Jan 10th 2005, when I went...

Substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you Atlanta Tax Expert for answering my question regarding OPT/H1. Since I have been on my H1 only for 92 days , do I still meet the substantial presence test ? I was looking at a Tax software that prepares 1040 NR EZ and the Form 8843for international students. I took a test where I...

OPT -H1 substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

I got my H1 on the 7th of aug, before which I was on OPT . Would I qualify for substantial presence test 183 days after the 7th of August to claim $ 5000 as being on f1 I won't be able to claim the same, if I'm right. Or is it 183 days during a particular calendar yr? Since I am an indian can I...

View more questions Search