Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khutsell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Fiberglass shower drain removal
    All we wanted to do is change our drain from brass to chrome in our fiber glass shower and I'm afaid we have bitten off more than we can chew. The brass drain is glued in with a 2" piece of pvc pipe sticking up in the center. How can we remove the brass drain wtihout damaging the shower or going in through the ceiling? Please help...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2006, 07:34 AM
    "How can we remove the brass drain wtihout damaging the shower or going in through the ceiling?"

You can't! To remove the old drain you must cut the raiser off and remove the retaining nut and pull up. I have put up a shower drain, (see image) for you to see the nut. If it's not too late consider keeping the brass body drain and replace the strainer with a chrome snap in strainer, (see image).
    This is the only way you're going to get around opening up the ceiling.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a drain in a fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a fiberglass shower unit in a new basement bathroom, but am somewhat stumped regarding how to attach the drain to the shower and then to the PVC pipe. The floor is concrete and I have 2” PVC rough in for the shower. Once I cut the PVC to the correct height, and...

Fiberglass shower/tub removal [ 1 Answers ]

Would like advice/instruction on how to remove a fiberglass all-in-one shower/tub unit. Thanks in advance for help!

Fiberglass shower drain leak [ 3 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower leak drain leak. It is caused by the fiberglass cracking around the drain. I need to confirm my process for fixing this problem. 1. Remove old drain. It is a metal with a nut on the bottom. Can't unscrew it because the drain is so loose that it turns in the drain...

Shower drain removal [ 5 Answers ]

I have torn out an upstairs tiled shower because of a leak in the 28 year old cardboard/plastic film pan. So, there's no turning back. The shower drain appears to be aluminum seated in an iron flange? And the aluminum pipe inserts into the pvc drain pipe. I would rather not tear up the living room...

ABS Fiberglass Shower Drain Installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've read some great posts on the forums but still can't fully answer my hopefully simple question. I'm installing a fiberglass shower in my basement and picked up an ABS screw-in drain for it to connect to my abs drain pipe. The drain came with a rubber gasket, I'm wondering which side of...

View more questions Search