Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badtaste Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 12:06 AM
    My cat makes a mess with the litter tray
    I have recently adopted my friends cat as they are moving to spain.
    I have kept her in for awhile (nearly 2 weeks now) so she can get use to us and her new surrondings, I was told she is litter trained and she does use her tray however she then throws the cat litter ( when I am not looking) all over the floor leaving little cat litter in tray.
    I am always making sure cat litter is dry and clean for her and have not shouted at her for making a mess (in my new kitchen) as I was told to tell the cat off makes it worse.

I don't know what to do is she bored or is it something else and how can I stop her making so much mess.

Also she doesn't seem to drink anything is this normal? I have tried cat milk and water?
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 12:47 AM
    At least she uses the litter! My mums cat poops outside the cat litter, she is 5 yrs old and has always done it. We've used sprays, pepper, everything we can think of and it still don't work.

My 2 cats... luckily use the cat litter. But same as yours.. they make a mess with the litter. All skattered around thir litter box is their litter. I think its fairly normal and nothing to worry about. Have you got a yard maybe you can put the litter instead of your kitchen?

Re: water, well cats are cats. I fill their bowl up with clean water everyday.. 1 of them yes drinks from it.. ( my good boy :) ) while the other goes outside in the garden and drinks the pond water... which is dirty, and sometimes drinks nothing at all.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 04:13 AM
    Try buying a litter box with a cover that goes over top of it. My friend has a cat that does the same thing and it is the only way she can prevent it.. now a little may come out from the opening (the door) but it will be nothing compaired to what you most likely have to clean up all the time..

Hope I helped

Have a good one

Aug 31, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Thanks guys its reasuring not had a cat before and wanted to know everything OK I will perhaps try a litter tray with lid. (if she likes it she very fussy)
    However I am glad I have got her now because apart from the messy litter tray she is a great cat.
    Thanks for help
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 05:18 AM
    They are always good company and very entertaining to watch. :)
    I love cats.
    I can guarantee that before you know it you will decide to get another one to give company to your cat :D

Aug 31, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Hopefully not to soon baby on way so trying to make sure cat reassured and doing lots of research on how to keep cat happy when baby comes.:eek

The cat (name puss) doesn't mind load noise and she is definitely in charge so I am sure she will be fine.

Any tips with cats and babies?
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 06:13 AM
    I don't have babies, so in that respect can't really help you.
    What nature is your cat?
    Friendly? Cuddly? Loner? Or Naughty?
    kymwm Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Just always love the cat, after the baby comes. Sometimes they can get "spiteful" if neglected & start to use the baby's crib, cradle, chair etc... as a litter box. If she seems displaced, keep the baby's door shut at first, so she doesn't start to do this.

As for litter box, one w/ a cover should definitely help. You can also by newspaper pellets. It's recycled paper formed into pellets, to be used as cat litter. It's not as messy as traditional litter.

Ah the drinking... cats are clever little creatures. Trust me, your cat is drinking, you are just not seeing it happen. Even if the water dish still seems full, she drank from it. The amount we put in vs/ the amount they take out makes it look like it is still full, & untouched. Cats also drink from faucets. They will climb on the counter, or in the sink in the bathroom & lick the opening. They will get water from there. You may never see them do it, but trust me, they do. They all do..

Aug 31, 2006, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    i dont have babies, so in that respect can't really help you.
    What nature is your cat?
    Friendly? Cuddly? Loner? or Naughty?

Puss is friendly she likes to play but on her terms only, she likes some alone time to when she's had enough of being petted and played with she will just get up and go.:D

So she is easy to read most of the time I have already started training her not to go in the nursery without me and so far getting on well.
    However once a baby is in there she maybe a bit more curious.:)
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Well done, keep that up :)
    As the saying goes : curiousity kills the cat.
    The puss will soon learn after she will get shouted at a few times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hide icon tray.. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to hide tray icon of my open program so that other can't use it... I all ready try systrayx it good but demo version is now enddate, so I'm just trying to find if there is any tray icon hider available "FREE SOFTWARE" :D...

Cat Not Using litter tray all the time [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a 12 year old Domestic Short haird Female cat who is desexed, she has lived out doors most of her life but now she is living indoors, its been a few months now, anyway I bought her a litter tray. I put the litter tray in the laundry and that is also where she eats but it is not right...

Little green computer no longer in tray [ 10 Answers ]

I have a dial-up connection and after I had to re-install the modem the little green computer disappeared from the tray by the clock. Is there a way to put it back or get it back? Have Win98SE, and can't boot into safe mode only into dos. Thanks for your detailed help.

Adult cat changed litter tray habits-help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have had my cat since she was a kitten, she is now anout 1.5 years. She has always been excellent at using her litter tray and 'going' out side until recently. There is a cat that come into the garden that scares her and I understand this might put her off from 'going' in the garden all...

DOS CD Tray Closing Program [ 1 Answers ]

May 11, 2004 People, I'm running Windows 98SE and I use Ghost 2003 Extensivly to make updated Image files of my C Drive in case of a screw-up. I write Batch files to automate the process so I can do other things while the Image is made and

View more questions Search