Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Privacy Rights in Rental Apartment in Canada
    Here's the story.

A renter, single, is in an apartment in a multi-apartment building. One of the other tenants complains to the property manager that when he passes this apartment, he smells marijuana smoke.

According to the manager, they have the 'right' to call the police on this fellow because he is doing something illegal. He also says that he can evict him because, again, he is doing something illegal.

Further, he states that the tenant can be charged, and he has to prove that he isn't doing anything illegal.

I've had this argument with this person in the past that he cannot presume somebody is doing something illegal, have him arrested by calling the police, and then evict him.

What, if any, protection is there for the tenant for his privacy?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:43 PM

If they landlord believes there is illegal activity they may do inspections of the property to investigate.

Also not sure your local law, here if a officer is trained in the smell and detection of pot, and they smell it, that can be used for a search warrant.

Or the CI ( person reporting the smoking) can be used for a warrant.

Pot smoke it a obvoius smell to people that know it,
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:49 PM
    Rats! I was hoping he was wrong.

It's always an iffy thing with possession only for personal use, which is probably what this is.

Thanks Chuck, this gives me a good idea of what could happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 08:11 PM

It all sort of just depends on the rental,
    Most apartment complexs, they could care less if the rent is paid, and even if maintenance sees drugs, ( OK they may steal them) but they seldom report things.

But I know here in public housing, or the government owned housing, they even have full time sworn police that do nothing but patrol these units all the time, If they catch drug use, they evict the people with only a few days notice, even the people in the apartment that don't use drugs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment Rental [ 7 Answers ]

What legal recourse do I have after I have been approved to lease an apartment and then two days before I am to move in the Property Manager changes their mind and says no for no reason. (All my documentation, credit report, etc. was reviewed and approved).:mad:

Apartment rental law with landlords in Kansas [ 1 Answers ]

I have an apartment I have been renting for about a year and I have asked for Carpet to be changed and stairs to be fixed and the smoke smell taken out and the owner of the apartment just have me 30 days notice to get out, because I am too much trouble. Can they do that?:eek: I just had a baby...

Rental privacy [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are moving from a rental fairly soon. Im curious about landlord privacy? How much should we expect? The lease is straightforward and basic. People have showed up unnanounced sporatically, for various reasons. Doing work for her. We told her this was OK, just call ahead. No luck....

Fire loss in rental apartment [ 3 Answers ]

My brothers' apartment caught on fire due to a hot water heater, does he have any recourse? He did not have renters insurance but the total loss fire ( no loss of life or pet thank goodness) has left him with nothing.

Apartment rental [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I live in an apartment complex in Volusia County, in Florida. I have never signed a lease where I reside, and I assume that this makes me month to month, and have lived here 9 months thus far. I have been complaining about a leak from my air conditioner and its poor functioning for quite...

View more questions Search