Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PJMonty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Advice needed on framing - replace metal studs?
    I am looking for some advice regarding a "Yoga RopeWall" I am helping to construct for a friend's Yoga studio. A rope wall is basically a wall of 3/4" plywood with ropes hanging from it that are used for various Yoga poses.

Originally, the wall was covered in mirror. When we took that down, we discovered that the original studs were metal, not wood. In addition, the entire mirror wall covered a brick wall with three columns protruding from the wall.

My concern is that since the goal is to have a wall 8 feet tall and 27 feet wide with something like 10 to 15 adults hanging onto it, there will be substantial loads placed on it. I'm not worried about the plywood, but rather the underlying metal studs.

I am looking for advice on whether it is possible to reinforce the existing framing with 2X4's and additional ties to the brick wall, or if the metal studs need to come down and be replaced with wood framing. Finally, best approach to tying into the brick wall?

I have my own thoughts, but am doing this with a couple of other friends, hence a debate has ensued. I was hoping for some clarity from this board. I have attached a couple of pictures to show what the underlying wall and studs look like.

Thanks,
    PeterM
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 3, 2006, 05:39 PM
    It looks like the studs are 24" o.c. You can install additional metal studs between the 24 o.c. studs and tie-back the studs like they have done to the brick. I would try to go every 2' along the stud length since there looks like there is nothing structural to attach the top plate to.
    In the area of the window(s) you could try to attach along the top of the window to the brick.
    blacksled Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 08:53 PM
    I can't tell how thick those studs are but you can use 6" metal suts of a heavy gauge like 14 and anchor them to the brick wall as well as to the tracks. I would also reinforce them with some 2x6 on each stud, anchoring those with some type of L bracket like the one seen on one of your pictures. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remodel options needed: Replace bath with shower [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking at removing a standard fiberglass bathtub/shower enclosure and installing a tiled shower. What are my options for the base of the shower? I've seen one or two products online that are cultured marble bases with tile inserts that fit right into the old bathtub rough opening. They...

More advice needed :S [ 4 Answers ]

Hi again. I hate to nag on about this but if anyone has more advice it would be great. I am still finding either some brown discharge or sometimes a bit of blood everyday from about 3 weeks ago whenever I go to the toilet, although not a lot. But the thing is its really bugging me now because its...

Need advice on which Framing Nailer to buy [ 1 Answers ]

My father and immediate family are buidling several houses in years to come, their just completing one now. He has asked me about framing nailers since he's still doing it the old fashion way and well - this is not so easy for a fella with a few miles on them ;) Can anyone give me some models or...

Wood or Metal framing for my basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement. My question is whether I should use wood or metal for the stud walls. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and, while researching the price of lumber and the metal studs, I discovered that there...

Advice needed with taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Right this is a fairly complicated matter but here goes. Firstly I am a British/Australian citizen (I have lived in Australia for the last 10 years). I am currently in nyc on a B1 visa until the end of July, I will be coming back sometime in August on a E1 visa and staying for a longer period....

View more questions Search