Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Mar 16, 2009, 06:40 PM
    How to make built-in stereo cabinet in finished basement.
    Can someone give me some help on the best way to build some built-in stereo shelves in my basement? I've made a sketch in Paintbrush of what I had in mind but I was thinking of using a good grade of plywood and routering out the sides to fit the shelves but I don't want the plywood edges visible from the front. I thought of painting the inside flat black possibly. I left a space in the framing and drywall 30 1/2" x 37 1/2" for the shelves to be built into so I'll need to frame the shelves with some trim too. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

Mar 16, 2009, 06:42 PM

Geeez, those drawings turned out big. Sorry
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:39 PM

I kind of like them, good job. You sure can do what you have outlined but there are better materials than plywood, especially if you are going to paint. I'd use a faced MDF, Anderson lumber calls theirs Kronospan Melamine Faced MDF, you can learn more by googling their site. The face edges can be covered with the same material almost like applying formica to a counter top and edge. You could get the Melamine in colors including black, kind of setting it off or just paint. I like you idea and would add the fascia trim using lumber stained like other features in the room.

Mar 20, 2009, 07:06 PM

I wonder if I can get a faced MDF locally like Lowe's or HD. Does it router well?

Mar 20, 2009, 07:53 PM
    I like the idea of staining the fascia trim on the shelves but what's the best way to trim around the outside? I don't think casing would look right. I guess I could find a decorative 3" wide moulding and use the rosettes on the corners.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I add vents in my finished basement? [ 7 Answers ]

I have finished the framing and I need to run some lines from the trunk lines into the newly added rooms in my basement. I built soffits around the main/trunk lines and I'm wondering if I should have done the HVAC ducts first. I thought I'd run a rectangular duct through the soffit and just put the...

Heating a finished basement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a finished basement, furnished and live in the Midwest. I do not use the are very rarely in the winter. I would like to know how much it would decrease my heating bill. I could close it off with a temporary closure. I have all the heat ducts closed. Is it worth the effort to close it...

Has anyone ever built a pottery drying cabinet? [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to make a drying cabinet for hollowed out clay sculptures so that I can fire them without waiting FOREVER for them to be bone dry from leather hard state and still not crack by drying too fast. I have a metal locker that I want to use and wire shelves. Does anyone know how hot it has to...

Plumbing in a finished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently finishing the basement in my home built about 2 years ago. The people that did the plumbing and heating didn’t want to spend the time to keep all of the plumbing and ductwork up in the joists so I’m having to move a bunch of it. I actually have 2 questions: 1. I have an A/C...

View more questions Search